SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Need good soil for vegetable garden

northerner_on
13 years ago

I am not new to gardening: I have lots of beautiful flowering perenials and annuals, but now I am very interested in growing vegetables. I have two small vegetable plots which are getting 'tired' - I can tell by the quality and vigour of my herbs and vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, swiss chard, okra, etc.), so I need to amend the soil. I do not plan on using any chemicals, and my composter does not do a good job. It does not get enough oxygen, is in the shade, so I just put things in it and after some years there's a bit of stuff, but that is not a source of nutrients that I can use. Last year, I dug trenches in these plots and buried most of my leaves and kitchen waste quite deep. Now it is Spring, most of the veggie stuff has broken down, but there is some evidence of leaf mold. I would like to cover or amend this with something really good. So here are my questions:

One of my options is mushroom compost which I can get nearby at quite reasonable prices. Would this be a good choice?

I have also considered Triple Mix or a mixture of Triple Mix and Topsoil. Would this be a better choice?

What about composted Cow or Sheep manure. Would this be a good choice?

I do not plan on buying soil in bulk because of the high weed content. I plan to buy bagged material. I live in Ontario where pesticides of all kinds are now outlawed, so weeds are a big problem. I am overwhelmed with dandeliions, clover, wild violets and a host of other broad leaf weeds, so I am thinking I should use some mulch in the vegetable gardens to keep them out. I personally do not like the look of those red or straw mulches - I like the look of earth between the plants - but I must protect myself from all the seeds which will be flying around. So I would like a suggestion for a mulch, please. Can the mushroom compost double as a mulch?

I am hoping one of you knowledgeable gardeners will take the time to read this rather long post (for which I apologize) and give me some feedback. I have lots of seedlings under lights which will be ready for planting out in about a couple of weeeks, so I want to give them a fighting chance. Thank you in advance.

Northerner.

Comments (4)