SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erdnuss_gw

Strawberries in a hanging basket, when can I take it outside?

erdnuss
15 years ago

I bought some Strawberries seeds and have sprinkled them in a hanging basket that I created. Eventually I want to move it outside, but for now, it is in the house. Right now our weather has been back and forth. For the most part it is 40's-50's with occasional 60's during the day and at night it is normally 30's and 40's for the low with occasionally being down in the 20's. I know when it comes to mulching strawberry plants for the winter, (from what I've read), you wait until it reaches 20 before you mulch them to protect them from winter weather.

I'm wondering about Strawberry plants and when to move them outside. If possible, I'd rather not keep them in all the time until Spring. Would the be fine being outside when it's 40's and up during the day and 30's and up at night, and only bring them in when it'll be 20's at night and maybe 30's in the day?

The seeds have started to sprout, not all, but some have. (I'm sure it's early for me to be starting some of my veggies and fruit, but I am aiming for an early harvest on some stuff because by May it gets too hot for many plants)

So is it ok for me to leave the baskets outside if they'll be in full sun during the day, and also leave them out at night unless it gets, as stated earlier, 20's at night and 30's in the day. During those days/nights I'd bring them in the house.

Or should I just leave them in the house all the time? Or only take them out when the temps reach a certain temp and bring them in when it gets down to a certain temp? From what I've read, it seems they prefer cool weather which is why I thought maybe I could let the basket hang outside for the most part, but I just don't know what temp would be considered too cold for such young plants. (young as in they just sprouted within the last week). I am worried about them not getting enough sun light in my house so I'd like to get them outside when possible.

Any ideas, let me know! Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County