SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenest_gardener

Should I use Ornamental Grasses?

greenest_gardener
17 years ago

I live in the maritime provinces of Canada, and while I don't have a view of the ocean as many of my nearby neighbours do, I can hear the waves crashing on the shore approximately 1,500 feet away from my back door. So, not only do I love ornamental grasses, but I also feel that their use would be appropriate so close to the ocean.

I'm wondering what other perennials will look good mixed into the same bed with the grasses. I'm thinking about planting some around our new deck, which is located in full sun, and is 5' off the ground in some places. I am thinking about using Miscanthus Sinensis - Morning Light Maiden Grass, as well as Panicum Virgatum - Prairie Fire Red Switchgrass, Pennisetum Alopecuriodes - Dwarf Fountain Grass, and Festuca Ovina Glauca - Elija Blue Fescue. Some perennials already present in the yard which could be relocated to be in the same bed as the grasses are sun lillies, purple liatris, several astilbe's, purple cone flower, wild marjoram, daisies and a globe thistle.

I'm also wondering if ornamental grasses are difficult, or require a lot of time to care for. I'm a relatively inexperienced gardener, and I also have an infant to care for, so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew by planting something I won't be able to care for propperly. I know that new grasses require a lot of watering until they are well established, but am wondering if I should perhaps plant only one, or only one variety of grass each year for the next few years, or since this will be a brand new bed should I just do it all at once?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Comments (7)