SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_heather

The downside of purchasing transplants

mom_heather
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I am returning gardener. I was really getting into vegetable gardening a few years ago and for a number of reasons had to stop. Now, I've got a new house and plenty of land. Unfortunately, my soil is mostly clay. So, for my first year back in the game I'm planning to try out straw-bale gardening as described in the June 2010 issue of Fine Gardening. I love this idea because the end result will be great soil/compost that I can use to begin amending my clay soil.

My question is this...what is the downside of purchasing transplants for veggies that you usually would not direct sow. Since I've only recently moved into my house, I'm not mentally prepared to deal with germinating seed this year. I'll do that next year. So, I'd like to direct sow what I can (carrots, beets, radishes, chard) and buy transplants for everything else (squash, tomatoes, peppers, cukes). I know this will depend greatly on the selection at my local nursery. I have no idea yet how vast or limited that will be. I'm planning to stay away from the Home Depots/Lowes since they seem to sell such 'vanilla' veggies varieties.

I welcome your feedback and suggestions. I'm located in zone 7A in Maryland (Parkton). I still have lots of research/refreshing to do on when I should begin to prepare and plant. It's 60 degrees today, but my property is still mostly covered in snow.

Thanks...Heather

Comments (32)