SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kclulamae

Misc raised bed questions

KCLulamae
13 years ago

I'm a newbie to vegetable gardening. I attempted last year with 1 raised bed and failed miserably. I am convinced the bed did not receive enough sun. I tried growing tomatoes and I got one. One.

This year we've built 8 more beds and they are in a spot that will receive sun almost all day. I spent the last two days filling all the beds, wheelbarrow load by wheelbarrow load, with a truckload of a veggie soil mixture. Here's where my questions begin. (Please don't laugh, I know some of these are stupid.)

1. It is still early to sow/plant most of the veggies I am planning. Should I go ahead and cover the soil with mulch?

2. Also, should I water the beds to keep the soil from drying out completely?

3. I have a few varieties of lettuce and some spinach that, according to the back of the seed packet, I can start outdoors now. I am considering putting these in the original raised bed that gets partial sun because the temps can get so hot around here. Is that a smart plan or do lettuce & spinach require a lot of sun?

4. When I do start sowing/planting, do I need to form rows in the beds?

I am learning a lot from these forums. I haven't found answers to these questions yet so I apologize if they have already been answered elsewhere. Thanks for all the help! -kc

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations