SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audmel_gw

Basement wall and high steps present landscaping challenge

Audmel
11 years ago

I've got a challenge on my hands. This photo is of the front of my home after removing some very ugly railroad ties and adding the rock wall around the reshaped foundation bed. The tree on the left side is a dogwood, and the plant next to the wall behind the dogwood is a pyracantha that I plan to shape into an espalier on the wall. All but one of the three shrubs on the right are gone, as they were half dead. The hostas on the right have been transplanted as they get burned in the heat of summer. The tree in the pot was planted in another part of the yard.

I plan to paint the brick a shade of taupe darker than the siding for some contrast, and to hopefully understate the immenseness of that wall and line of steps.

I also have built a structure consisting of two 4x4s with cable strung between them against the center part of the brick wall where I intend to put an apple tree (the one I planted last spring didn't make it), which will eventually add some height and interest on that section of wall.

I would appreciate some input and advice as I feel my house lacks curb appeal and I have no idea what to do about it! I think the steps I plan to take will help, but I don't think they'll solve the problem, and some of them (like the apple espalier) are a long-term project that won't actually add visual appeal for a few years. I'd like to incorporate an herb garden somewhere. I've planted a few herbs and am going to be moving them when I reach a final plan.

As a final note, the house faces south (slightly southeast) and there are large trees on both sides which provide dappled shade in the mornings and late afternoons. The front of the house gets about 4 hours of direct sun a day.

Thanks for taking a look!

Audmel

Comments (5)