SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themastergardener1

Your cheapest potting mix?

TheMasterGardener1
11 years ago

I found the gardeners in this Vegetable{{gwi:807}} Forum can relate with having to save money on potting soil to be able to grow food for a reasonable price. Yes, I grow food for a hobby, but I end up with a lot of food I grow and either dry or freeze and it really saves me trips to the store. I do grow most of my garden in the ground in rows, but I just last year got 20 #1 containers and 12 #3 containers and still can never see buying 2 bags of potting mix to fill them all just for the little food I will grow in them. I even have 2 other 10 gal containers so that right there is another 2.5 cuft or so.

The trick is, and I am sure you all know, is to make potting mix for cheap? ;)

So whats your mix? I know some people get truck loads or get it by the yard. If you do get it in bulk maybe list what you think is there.

I tryed some mixes last year and was surprised at one in particular. I had mixed 90% peat and 10% composted horse manure and my jalapeno plants in it outgrew reg potting mix. For the small comtainers I use I think I like a heavy organic{{gwi:807}} mix.

So final cost of the 90/10 peat/manure- 1.75 cuft.

Not bad. And yes I have used topsoil in a container which is free, but can not yield the same.

Also, another mix I have used with great results is a mix of cheap potting mix and peat at 50/50. This mix cost about 2.75 a cuft and works pretty well. So it is just a matter of adding bulk and the peat tends to make a dark mix a little more fluffy.

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 12:06

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor