SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

USPS - Extra charge for large boxes?

christie_sw_mo
18 years ago

I'm ticked at the post office and a little at myself too. I usually use priority mail for trades but the price difference for a recent trade was $21+ for priority mail vs. $9 for regular delivery because they were going to tack on an extra charge for the box being over sized. The box was square and was apparently slightly over the 28"x28" standard size. I was told it would take two days longer than priority mail so I reluctantly wrote perishable on it and sent it on its way. I was sending dormant shrubs so I thought an extra two days would probably be alright. Well it's been 9 days so far and the box is still somewhere between Missouri and New Jersey. grrrrr

In hindsight, maybe I should've repacked them somehow but they wouldn't have fit into any of my smaller boxes without trimming the roots or tops or both and I wouldn't have had time to get them back to the post office that day to mail it.

I tried to find something on the USPS website about the extra charge after I got home but couldn't. Has anyone else had problems mailing large boxes? grrrr (needed to vent) Thanks

Comments (6)

Sponsored