SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markdpelhamny

'Staging' your plantings - how do you do it for containers?

markdpelhamny
16 years ago

I've become very engaged by container planting - I have a large patio and a small yard, and the limited garden space is largely devoted to vegetables and roses. I also very much like the "technical" aspects of container gardening (like the soil science aspects of "regular" gardening).

I bought two nice SWCs from Gardeners for my front stoop and had great plans to grow some canna in them as a summer-long decorative planting - I planned to add some filler/spiller/thriller as needed.

I bought the canna rather late and just this weekend filled up my big, pretty planters with Al's mix and planted the canna rhizomes (or whatever they are). I then stood back and looked at the plantless containers and thought "that's dumb", dug out the rhizomes and put them into some 1 gallon pots from the nursery and put them in my warm boiler room to start.

Rather a long way to say, how do you "stage" your plants in decorative containers? I already succession-plant my vegetable garden (I always have something growing under lights in the boiler room) - early season spinach/peas/lettuce replaced by mid and late season flowers and vegetables. By the same logic, I'm content to have containers on the back patio in various states of bloom, but there are a few locations I would like to have a continuous "decorative" display.

Do people do the same for containers? Do you just go to the nursery and buy fresh stuff or do are you constantly cultivating something new to plant? Do you cycle your decorative planters in and out of their primary locations as they come into and go out of peak display?

Any approaches (plants/techniques) to this that work well? Anything you wouldn't consider for "staging" because it doesn't transplant well or for other reasons? Am I going to kill my cannas doing this?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (7)