SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorker_gw

Zone 6 - Hardy Plant Advice

newyorker
16 years ago

Can anyone recommend hardy evergreen/bamboo/grasses that I can leave out on a balcony in a large container year round. I am trying to find something hardy that can surround my condenser just for beauty. Ideally something that can grow upwards of 3-4 feet or more.

I'm not looking for something that flowers per se as I would like to see green foliage in the winter months rather than just the plant branches. Does bamboo or grasses retain its color or does it yellow and I need to cut it back each year?

I am facing s/sw about 250 ft up high. We do get some gusty winds sometimes being up so high and lots and lots of sun. We do have the roof above us so we are covered from direct rain. We tried korean boxwoods as we were told these are hardy but these did not survive the winter wind burn even with Wilt-Pruf.

Any advice would be appreciated. We don't have an issue with weight load so I can go large with the container to make sure it does not freeze in the winter (and can move to the wall next to the apt to keep it warmer)

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21