SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Will my Burpee Giant flowered mix zinnias seeds be true to color?

highlandernorth
9 years ago

I have been growing the Burpee Giant Flowered Mix(double zinnia flowered type), an orange cactus variety from Burpee and Burpee Purple Prince as well. I grew them from seeds, and I collected seeds from the different colored flowers and made sure to keep the seeds from each flower separate(by color) and I am now packaging them in paper packages after dried. I didn't wait til the flowers were completely brown before picking them, as I have seen some people call for.

Anyway, they grew very tall, and a few had only 1 layer of flower petals, but most were clearly doubles with many levels of petals. I didn't bother saving seeds from the zinnias with only single layers of petals, only the thick doubles.

Earlier during the season, just to experiment, I pulled a few seeds off of fully opened flowers and planted them in a small open spot near the others, and they came up and just started to open their first flowers when the first frost hit about 10 days ago. So I know they will germinate and grow, but I am wondering if these seeds will produce double flowers of similar colors like their parent zinnia plants?

Also, why do some zinnias from the Burpee Giant flowered seed packs only produce single layer flowers, while most others from that pack produce thick doubles?

I want to grow seeds from last year's flowers so I can hopefully ensure I end up with a good assortment of colors, instead of a bunch of plants that only produce a few colors because simple dumb luck resulted in growing 12 seeds that didn't include all of the 6-7 colors in the seed pack. Then the next year I grow 10-12 more seeds from that same pack, and end up with 3 different colors than last year! I just can't seem to beat Murphy's law and have all of the colors from that pack represented in the same season!

Comments (2)