SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mushroomacat

Four O'clocks Germinating

mushroomacat
14 years ago

Hello everyone!

This year I'm doing mostly veggies and decided I can't deal with at least a little pretty color in my measly garden, so I had this GREAT idea...OR so I thought.

My GREAT idea was to have this pretty container with these gorgeous trellis' and to have both Morning Glories and 4o'clocks in the pot to mix them together to have a plant that basically blooms most of the day. When I started my veggie seeds I also started both my flower seeds.

After more than 3 week ZERO of my 4o'clocks have germinated...WHAT?? Are you kidding me?....is all I could think. I thought this was a fabulous idea, but now I'm not so sure since I can't seem to get these darn seeds to start for me. I was thinking that I may just had gotten a "bad" batch of seeds and I was contemplating bringing the packet back to Lowe's and ask to get a new one, but I didn't know if they would think I was crazy. I've had no previous problems getting all of my seeds to germinate in my peat pots with seed starting soil, so I'm not sure why my problem is occuring with this particular flower. My Morning Glories are over 5in. tall already and have a huge lead on the poor 4o'clocks. I had no problems several years back when I tried them the first time and fell in love with them, but I can't remember how I started the seeds. This is my first year to use the peat pots/seed starter soil.

When trying to germinate a seed can you have it too wet? I know once the seed germinates too much moisture can cause root rot, but I don't think this is what I'm expierencing, but, then again, I'm by far NOT an expert at that. I've watered it just as often as I have on my other seeds and didn't have a problem getting them to germinate.

What is my next step? I'm willing to try anything to see if I can make this work.

What should I do differently?

Can I ask Lowe's to exchange the packet or will they think I'm ridiculous?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Brandy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz