SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Overwintering Potted Hyacinths

marcindy
12 years ago

Hi, I searched for an answer to my question, but haven't found any answer. Please forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I usually plant all of my bulbs in the fall in the garden and enjoy them the next spring. This year I bought some hyacinths on sale (75% off... I couldn't resist) and would like to plant them in pots so I can just sink them with the pots in larger flower containers for the front door, or in my raised planter around my deck. I figured together with some early potted pansies it would make a great early spring arrangement. I can't plant the hyacinths in the raised planter or the larger container snow, they would freeze solid for weeks on end in our winter here. My garage stays between 40F and 50F during the winter. I was wondering if I could plant the hyacinths now, keep them in the garage, water them sparingly and in early spring move them to their display area?

Every spring I look at the potted tulips and daffodils and such and think why didn't I plant a few last fall? This year I am going to try it. Any advice or hints you could give would be very much appreciated.

Btw, I bought 16 salmon Gypsy hyacinths and 16 buttery yellow City of Haarlem hyacinths. I think I will combine them with white and soft yellow pansies, or maybe do something daring and combine them with white and orange pansies...lol

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Comments (9)