SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdogg_gw

Annual Companions for Tropical Container Garden

RDogg
18 years ago

Celebrating my first real patio ever, I started my first container garden a few years ago in Miami -- mostly tropicals, a hibiscus, a bougainvillea, a croton, a few palms, a ficus shrub of some kind - your typical starter Florida garden, and one that doubled in size the first year. Flash forward to today, New York City, my garden and I are locked inside a small apt until Spring decides to show.

Winter has been an interesting experience for the garden. What started out as a ficus-like shrub has grown freakishly tall (4.5 ft?) but bare out of a 10" pot. The palms have stopped growing. The boug is taking over my bedroom. I can't wait to get these guys back outside with fresh soil in their pots.

That said, are there any rules against decorating these survivors up with pansies and petunias, since I'm repotting anyway? I hate the idea of making them compete for root space with annual "guests", and I anticipate a fair amount of new growth soon after repotting. Forgive my ignorance, I'm a little new to annuals.

Comment