SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Lilium japonicum f. albomarginatum

bluebonsai101
18 years ago

Hi All, I have been putting together an order for a bunch of Arisaema from Japan and was searching around their site and noticed the wonderful lily in the subject. I'm wondering if anyone has grown this guy from the island of Shikoku and can tell me how tough/easy it is. I'm not a lily person in general, but the frosted leaf edges in white had me thinking I might just need these if I can get a few of my friends to go in with me. Of course, if anyone knows a source in the U.S. for a couple of these that is cheap I'd be interested in hearing that as well!! If anyone has any info I would love to hear :o) Dan

Comments (7)

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Asiatica nursery has the plant at $25.00 plus s/h. Is that a good price? Heck if I know.

Lisa

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I would not consider that good, but I'm a cheapy big time. Their S/H is also just rediculous in my opinion. Asiatica has nice, unusual plants, but I just think they overcharge for almost everything they sell. They buy theirs from Shikoku wholesale which is where I am importing my Arisaema from :o) Dan

• azngrnthumbs
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,

I agree. Asiatica is way overpriced and their shipping/packing costs are sky high. They have good plants though.

I haven't grown this lily (and yes, I am a lily person...hehe), but I personally don't think that it's worth it. I grew another variegated lily, Lilium longiflorum 'Chotaro' and was a bit disappointed with it. It looked virused and was very weak. The buds aborted before they even opened fully and it eventually died.

The problem with these lilies is the variegation is so faint and I've read that they cannot be propagated like most lilies (via bulb scales). They must be divisions of the plants or selected stem bulblets that carry through the variegation.

There are so many other great lilies out there both species and hybrids. I recall seeing some of your Chen Yi Liliums that were absolutely striking!

Shikoku has some really nice things and I wish I could afford buying their minimums. What were you planning on getting aside from the Lilium?

Riz

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Riz,

Thanks for the info!! Unlikely we would make the minimum on the lilies anyway. Besides that we are importing Arisaema:

ehimense
    iyoanum v. nakaianum
    sazensoo
    tashiroi
    ternatipartitum

We nicely made the minimum of 25 on each of those and I'm just waiting to hear back on the total before actually placing the order. I went in with a guy from overseas for a few others from here as well.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :o) Dan

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I'll probably STILL place an order with Asiatica because they have some things I can't find anywhere else--non-aroid, non-bulb things, so I don't think it's likely that the 25-plant minimum would be easy to reach.

That is, I'll order the things I can't raise from seed (or at least obtain seed for to try raising). Growing from seed is impossibly slow, but since I'm now using the small trowel to plant, and starting to hit other plants even using the small trowel, I can take 5 years to get a mature blooming-sized plant. That way there's a chance something else will die and I can replace it with the grown-from-seed something.

Lisa

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa, I admire your patience...as my wife says: "patience is a virtue, find it if you can, seldom in a woman, never in a man" I'm definately in the man category there and the only thing I raise from seed are really hard to find species Hippeastrum (I have 10 species now going from seed) or really tough and expensive to find Amorphs like gigas and decus-silvae or impressus, angustispathus, etc. I'm not too concerned about the lily....I just won't grow it....I'll get some more cheapies from Chen Yi just for fun :o) Dan

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Dan, I dunno--I get SO excited watching the little seedlings emerge. You sure wouldn't call me patient as I chatter in a high, excited voice, exhorting my "babies" to grow big and strong...

A lot of what I grow from seed is stuff I can't find any other way, and even finding the seed isn't particularly easy.

I have to admit that there isn't any *instant* gratification with a lot of the seeds I start--some take up to two or three years to show an above-ground leaf, but I do derive some smug satisfaction at being able to get them to grow at all, especially after people proud of their seed starting abilities (usually tomatoes) don't think about or bother with cold stratification and fail rather miserably.

I also enjoy watching tiny plantlings (whether I started them from seed myself, or bought tubes, bare-root stock, bulbs or rooted cuttings) slowly become big, splendid plants. I think I enjoy watching the process as much as I enjoy the mature plants. ("Oooh, look! TWO more leaves this year!")

Lisa

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES