SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanuttree

Prickliness = pest resistance in vegetable plants?

peanuttree
16 years ago

As you all know some vegetables have prickly foliage. The typical example is squash plants. But I've read that this prickliness deters pests. I can understand how it could deter animals from eating it, but I'm interested in insect pests. Does squash's prickliness deter insect pests? And what if I don't want the prickliness? That prickliness can be annoying in the kitchen, where the stems can kinda hurt. How is it that the winter squashes I buy at the store aren't prickly-stemmed? Is it a different variety? One farmer/gardener told me that they grow it quickly with a lot of nitrogen and that prevents the prickly hair from forming.

What about in other plants? Would clemson spineless okra be more susceptible to bugs because it is less prickly?

I was picking eggplants once in our town garden (it's actually a free garden they have here in Closter where residents can pick vegetables for free - no more than a little bucket a day - and a guy runs it in exchange for lower land taxes) and the plant was kinda prickly. How would I prevent this?

I guess that's the overall question - how desirable is prickliness in detering pests (bugs, not animals like rabbits, squirrels), and how do I prevent it if I don't want it?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery