SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reillyoz007

Lisianthus - Basic Questions from Australia

reillyoz007
18 years ago

Hi Everyone

I absolutely adore lisianthus but have had great difficulty obtaining seeds/seedlings here in Oz. At the Melbourne Garden Show earlier this year I came across a supplier and purchased 6 (six!! it was exciting!! I would have bought more but had no way to carry them :( ). He gave me information on their upkeep and I thought here might be the best place to confirm that I am doing everything right. His advice:

1. Plant in sandy poor soil, water for a couple of weeks and then neglect them ie don't overwater, don't fertilise and don't mulch.

2. Our climate should suit them as we get winter nights down to 4 degrees Celcius (around 40 F) and summer days up to 40 C (around 105 F).

3. Cut for flowers as often as you can because the more you take off them the more they will produce.

Does this sound right? A couple of other questions I have are - are they really really slow growers? I planted the very small seedlings in March/April (which is our Autumn/fall). They have now been through Winter and we are heading into Spring. They have put on a few leaves (and haven't died LOL) but nothing spectacular.

They are in a half wine barrel on the western side of the house and I have a faint alarm buzzing that they're not getting enough sun?

Are they annuals or perennials?

Any tips on harvesting and germinating the seed? I don't want to take the chance that the supplier (from another State) won't be at next year's Show.

Does checking on them at every opportunity cause them to not grow? LOL :))). Sorry but they're my precious babies at the moment! :).

Sorry for the long-winded post but I've Googled and read a bit and not really been able to obtain the information I need. Something you may find interesting - the supplier of the seedlings told me that the reason we can't readily get seed and seedlings here in Australia is that they are so valuable as a cut flower. Growers obtain so much money selling them as flowers that they more or less have a policy to *not* encourage their cultivation as plants ie if everyone started growing them it would decrease their commercial value. Interesting!

Any help appreciated and many thanks.

Comments (9)