SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

Alliums and roses

14 years ago

I hope someone here has some experience with this. It falls under the category of 'companion planting' or is it inter cropping?

When I got my place a little over two years ago, I wanted to grow all edible plants. If not directly edible, then they should help by either attracting bees, other beneficial insects, or be a trap crop for bad insects. If anything is purely ornamental, then it better be very beautiful for me to remember to water it....

The place came with a lot of roses. I counted them, there are 54 of them. Size of the lot is only 1/4 of an acre, so the roses are taking a big chunk of that. My first words, why so many roses? should I take them out and plant something useful? Then they bloomed and I fell in love. I know, roses ARE edible, and I have enjoyed hips tea and hips syrup from them already. I also enjoy looking at them and smelling them, some have an amazing fragrance.

I had read that alliums do well with roses. Last year we grew enough of all vegetables, with the exception of onions and potatoes, so this year, more onions and more potatoes! I recently started weeding around the roses, leaving plenty of space for air circulation around their roots (they get fungal diseases you know) and planting onion, garlic and shallot starts all along the soaker hose we use to water them. They started to sprout already and they look good!

In order to plant the alliums I had to remove some pesky little ornamental plant that looks like alliums (and has bulbs) but it is an ornamental (no scent). Very bad choice since it could be confused with a real allium. By the way, i find allium flowers very beautiful, so to me they are better ornamentals than what is there... I do not know what it is, i still have a lot of it (it will take me a while to eradicate) and it produces a not too exciting little white lily-like flower. The greenery looks like lush grass. They reproduce by bulb and seed both (and too much!). Not sure what it is, but while digging them out I found a lot of white powder around them. Would that be a chemical fertilizer they put around the roses? This place is full of beneficial insects and all sorts of nice insect attracting 'wild' flowers, so I doubt they were too heavy on 'chemical' gardening. At least I hope so.

I wonder if any of you know what the white powder might be, and if anyone has done this inter cropping with alliums and roses, do you have any advice or suggestions for me? Do not send me to the rose forum, people there are disgusted with folks like me who try to plant edibles close to their roses. By the way, I also have mint, parsley, zatar (Syrian oregano) and regular oregano in parts of the rose garden. Those are all doing very well so far.

Comments (9)