SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylea_2008

Help planning first solo garden

amylea_2008
16 years ago

Dear Contributors,

I have just spent a couple of days reading through your site and loved and learned so much. Much of what I am learning I gleaned from your Oops stories, some of your mistakes didnt look like mistakes to me until I got to the outcomeÂmany of the things done were things I know I would or could or most likely will do since they all seemed like good ideas.

My family gardened for years, and it was always my mother and father who knew and did the most. We kids were just cheap labor for the things that you couldnÂt easily screw up. For years after we were all grown, and my parents (who lived in Indiana) and were retired traveled according to the planting time where we kids lived to "help" put in our gardens  they actually put them in for us. We were scattered all overÂsister in Minnesota, brother in Mississippi, sister in Arizona, another is Arkansas and me in North Carolina. So they could start in the south and slowly head north to be at each of our places when the timing for putting the gardens in was right.

Well, my father passed away a few years ago, and my mother, now in her 80Âs has AlzheimerÂs and cannot travel here and give me guidance. So now I am kicking myself for not having learned every single thing about life and gardening from her through the years that I could. But one thing I learned and want to continue for my children is the importance of a garden. I laugh now when I think about the fact that I was probably in junior high before I had ever tasted store bought jelly/jam. (I am currently 41  so that was in the 1980Âs not the 1890Âs! Making my sheltered and suburban like quite remarkable and an attestation to how amazing my parents were!) I didnÂt know that people bought tomato base products in stores for soups and sauces. My mom canned quarts and quarts of those, so we always had the good stuff. She even made ketchup. What wasnÂt canned was frozen. All these things I could now know how to do had I only realized the value of learning them a little at a time by her side. Yes, I realized the value  always loved the fruits of her and dadÂs labors but somehow omitted the step of learning. I guess I thought I had plenty of time for her to pass on this wealth of knowledge to me. It wasnÂt until my father died that I truly realized that they would not be here forever!

So  to make a short story long  this is where I am now. My husband and I just purchased our dream house in December 2007. We have a little over 2 ½ acres. He has been active duty Army for 21 years but decided that 6 more aught to do it, so he will be retiring in 2013. Anyway, here it is January, and I am wanting to plan my first sizable garden, and grow ALL the good veggies that I grew up eating but have no idea how much of what to plant, when, or even layout. I have been looking on the internet for garden layouts but they all have the plants pre-picked out. And I know enough to know that I cannot just say, "Well, I donÂt want the plant they have planned so I will simply plant some tomatoes." I want to have plenty and hopefully have a little to freeze  I am not yet confident enough to contemplate canning. IÂm afraid I will exterminate my entire family with botulism. Although we have a lot of space I donÂt want a 2 ¼ acre garden, so I need guidance on the best use of space to maximize my outcome. Did I also mention that I am pregnant with our 4th child due in late August so I must probably be on drugs to want to do this garden thing in the NC heatÂbut I have my heart set on the bounty of flavor that fresh, warm, the dirt just brushed off them, tomatoes can bring. I want to have fresh green onions, beets to make my mother-in-laws beet soup (borscht) with. Green beans to steam  if I donÂt eat half of them raw while prepping them. So pregnant or not I need to at least get this first attempt going.

I also want to learn about companion planting so I would perhaps not need to use as many chemicals and space would be best utilized. Is there a website out there where I can submit certain criteria  plants desired, family size, space potentially allottedÂand they can help design the garden? Or would one of the folks on this site be able to assist. I know I could do the trial and error method and most likely keep you all amused with the anecdotes but I figure even with guidance I will still make some crazy mistakes that will serve as fodder for your humor. And, believe me I have no qualms about sharing misadventures and laughing at myself. Anyway, HELPÂis there anyone out there that can help me? I have a huge list of plants/seeds ready to order once I get some guidance. I donÂt want to order a bunch then find out I cannot or should not use either the type or amount.

Sincerely,

AmyLea

Comments (16)