SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsntech

Broccoli Spacing - 18 Inches or 12 Inches?

bsntech
13 years ago

Hello all,

I've been growing broccoli in beds 18 inches apart in rows and 18 inches between the rows.

I watched a show - called P. Allen Smith on PBS a few weeks ago - and was quite surprised that he said broccoli could be planted 12 inches apart between plants and between rows.

What is your spacing for broccoli plants? Was wondering if I should try the 12 inch spacing which would double the amount I can fit in the same area.

This year I plan to "heavily fertilize" using that pelletized 12-12-12 fertilizer that the garden shops have. I've always had very good produce - except I did have issues with corn last year. Hopefully by 'heavily fertilizing', I'll be able to get a good corn crop (and using a quicker-maturing variety). Maybe this will also allow me to space things closer.

My beds are fully made of compost from our local compost facility - and each year, I shred up hundreds of pounds of leaves from my yard and till them into the beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

Comments (18)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

It seems to me that heavy fertilizing would produce more growthy plants which need more room in my opinion.

Now I have plenty of room so I space mine more like 18 inches or a bit more apart. A double row of more closely spaced broccoli might be ok, but if 3 or more rows are side by side, I believe they need more room.

• bsntech
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Wayne.

You are correct - the main bed I'll be planting the broccoli in this year is only three feet wide. I would look at doing probably only one - maybe two - rows of broccoli at 12-inch spacing.

I agree with plants being more "growthy" with fertilizing. More than anything, I just want to get a decent corn crop - and I was told it was due to nitrogen deficiencies last year. I probably don't need to fertilize the broccoli, but will provide fertilizer once or twice a month around celery, corn, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, and maybe cucumbers.

• Related Discussions

P1 12-18 inch high FLAT rigid

Q

Comments (2)
    It does flower when it's happy. That is some type of Iris.
    ...See More

Vote: 15 inch uppers or 18 inch uppers with 30 inch deep counters

Q

Comments (2)
    I am short (5'1"). I tried playing with how it would feel to have 30" deep counters. Using my range I am reminded of why it wouldn't be a good idea for me. The range is 28.5 inches deep. I have to really stretch to clean the back guard and it isn't as far away as the wall. I think I would go with the deeper uppers if you don't mind things getting lost in the rear of them. Reaching over 30" counters to a 12" upper would be fruitless for me. As it is now I can only reach the front row of glasses on the second shelf of my 12" over 24" cabs now. I do wonder what prevents you from putting in a full height pantry on the 18 foot wall? That's a nice long space.
    ...See More

24 inch range and 18 inch DW: what are they like to use?

Q

Comments (20)
    I have a 24 inch range at our cabin. I have made full Thanksgiving dinners for years including a 15+ pound turkey. It is sometimes hard to find a decent size cookie sheet as some are a bit too wide. But mine is a bit older with coil burners. I was looking for a newer style and all that I look at (very little choice) are somewhat more shallow front to back inside than the one I have. And no induction that I found in Canada. So I guess I will just keep the one I have. My dishwasher out there is 24 inch but the neighbour has an 18" and she entertains a lot, and seems to be OK with it.
    ...See More

12 vs 18 inch slab foundation above grade

Q

Comments (2)
    How many times are you planning on asking the same question in different threads?
    ...See More
  • grandad_2003
    13 years ago

I plant my broccoli in 3 ft rows on a 19.5 inch spacing. This spacing allows me to fit 17 plants in each of my rows. I've found the spacing to grow plants that produce a large main head initially, and then follow with an abundance of side shoots.

I was speaking to one of the local farmers who grows and provides broccoi for the local farmers market. He was growing Packman broocoli on a much closer spacing like you've noted above. It may have even been a bit closer, perhaps it was an 8 inch spacing between plants. He however, was only looking to harvest the main head. He was not interested in any side shoot production.

• bsntech
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grandad -

Exactly what I'm looking for. I don't care too much about the side-shoots - because once the main head is done, a different crop will be rotated into that spot.

I think eight inches is a bit too close for me.

I grow the "Green Goliath" version of broccoli - but I will be trialing that (older seed) with Premium Crop broccoli this year. The P. Allen Smith show used the same Green Goliath broccoli - so hopefully I can get the same luck.

• grandad_2003
    13 years ago

bsntech, I grow Green Goliath & Premium Crop and both seem to "prefer" the extra spacing. The plants grow to fill in the spacing that I've provided them. Green Goliath is noted for it's side shoot production & Premium Crop for a large central head. Packman, is noted for being a bit more compact. I could easily grow Packman on a closer spacing. You may want to do a bit of research and then decide which varieties lends itself to the closer spacing, Packman would most likely be one such choice.

Perhaps those who have done the close spacking experiment can share via a post.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

I have grown broccoli last fall 12 inch spacing with the rows on 32-36 inch centers. We had many beautiful 3/4-1 pound heads.

{{gwi:12631}}

Last spring I used 12 inches and 24 inches. The 24 inches had four plants at each one. It was an idea that Elliot Coleman uses. I figured it was worth trying. It did work really well, last spring was a terrible broccoli spring.
    I started these plants in my movable high tunnel and they were on 30 inch beds. Doing the multiple planting allowed for more heads in the same space. At my markets the customers prefer a smaller head, like they find in the grocery store as opposed to the 2 pound heads I grew the year before.

Broccoli that moved outside after its time inside the high tunnel

{{gwi:12632}}

A group of 4 broccoli plants.

{{gwi:12633}}

Planting this space with 4 plants allowed me to have 240 plants in a space that I could have put 150 plants. If I was able to harvest 240, 1 pound heads, it would be $720. The 150 1 pound head would only bring in $450. This is assuming 100% harvest and $3.00 a pound. Last spring was terrible for everyone around me. The broccoli just didn't preform well. Some varieties did great last fall.

Varieties: Green Magic, Arcadia, Blue Wind aka Blue Flop, and Marathon. I didn't care for Marathon, but the Arcadia and Green Magic are great.

• jonhughes
    13 years ago

Hey Brother,
    I spaced mine at 12" in all directions (like you/raised beds) and produced plentiful,including side shoots,

{{gwi:11395}}

{{gwi:12634}}

{{gwi:12635}}

{{gwi:12636}}

{{gwi:11397}}

{{gwi:12637}}

{{gwi:11399}}

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

I like Emerald Crown the best. Castle Dome is an early variety with smaller heads. Imperial is a later variety with large heads.

• bsntech
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you jonhughes and jrslick.

I'm surprised at the size of the broccoli.

With the 18 inch spacing I have done using Green Goliath, I only put out seven plants (would have been eight but the last one didn't grow) - and had 12 pounds, 13 ounces total - or an average of 1 pound 13 1/4 ounces per head.

So this does bring up a good question now. As of right now, I have space to put 10 broccoli plants in the garden using the 18-inch method; two in the front garden and eight in the garden that is beside the house.

If I change to 12-inches per plant, I can put three (maybe four) in the front garden (where there would have been two) - and put 24 (12 in two rows) in the garden by the house. Provided each of the plants produce one pound each, that would more than double my previous yield - but would almost halve the output per plant.

If I do the same spacing with the cauliflower, I could put in 12 (6 in two rows) where I have four.

Will be a good experiment this year. Now.. just as long as I have that much space under my 'germination station' to put that many plants.

Thank you all.

13 years ago

I was looking at the seeds I ordered last night and the recommended spacing for broccoli was 8 inches in rows 18 inches apart. It was also mentioned that they suggest 1 square foot per plant.

This was in the Johnny's catalog.

Jay

• kingkongos
    13 years ago

I have mine in raised beds and use both 18" and 12" spacing. This year I grew Di Cicco and Calabrese. The Di Cicco is spaced at 12" and is doing very well, the Calabrese is at 18" and is also doing great...

• stuffradio
    13 years ago

I know this is about spacing, but all your broccoli heads look beautiful! What do you do to protect them from animals? This is my first time doing a vegetable garden, and my block is 3.5 km long... I know there are wild rabbits somewhere on some properties around the block. I don't know what I'll do if I suddenly start attracting them to my yard. I'll be growing lots of Broccoli, Carrots, etc.

What's the cheapest method of protecting them? I think we might get a dog in a few months, but that doesn't always protect them.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Do you really need a high/low tunnel for broccoli? I just wonder if it would get too warm in there? I'm thinking of just getting some protection to cover them on cold nights? Maybe put down black plastic?

I say this because I'd hate to waste a lot of time removing plastic covering because its 100F inside there?

Any thoughts?

13 years ago

Frank:

No you really don't need to have a high tunnel, but if you do and put a low tunnel under it, you can really push them along for the first markets of the year at the end of April, first of May. I am looking at planting them out in Early March. If I keep them protected, I will have a crop by May. When they are strong enough to take a frost, April, I will move the building to space two and transplant Zucchini. I will have zucchini by the middle of may. Then I will have another broccoli planting for late May/early June.

Movable buildings really open up your possibilities to pushing the seasons.

Jay

• jonhughes
    13 years ago

stuffradio,
    The cheapest way would be to put up a fence using t-posts (4' cost a couple of dollars each) and deer netting. almost invisible but it'll keep out rabbits.

{{gwi:12638}}

If I didn't have ribbons tied to it ,you would barely be able to see it. (in other words, it's not that ugly,since it is invisible.

{{gwi:8596}}

{{gwi:12641}}

• sinfonian
    13 years ago

I find 12'x12' spacing in raised beds too close for brassicas. One always does an S stalk outside the bed to get enough room. I may very well give them more room this year as I do like getting side shoots from them as a home gardener. Oh, and I'm using Fiesta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• franktank232
    13 years ago

jonhuges-

Very nice and clean setup. I'd love to have my beds raised like that (rabbits/voles couldn't ever get to them). I'm guessing you have about 100 blocks per bed?

JR-
    OK... I'll maybe do that with the low tunnels. I can see myself shoveling a lot of snow at some point to get some hoops in place. I'd like to put carrots in between broccoli rows.

• jonhughes
    13 years ago

Franktank:
    Yeah, it depends on the size ;-)
    some are smaller than others !

{{gwi:8597}}