SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueang

Daffodils for my garden?

18 years ago

Next year fall, I would like to plant some daffodils for my yard! What kinds, species would you recommend that I plant that will come up year after year? I have fine sandy soil but had been building up humus and watering more often because of many different kinds of plants that are already there, too many species to describe. Most of the yard is in partial shade, and the sun areas get 4-5 hours of direct sun a day, mostly in the noon to afternoon range. I tried regular "landscape" daffodils but they never come up or decline. Is this due to zone hardiness, as regular daffodils seem to thrive better in zone 5 and 6 but not in zone 4? Plants that thrive for me includes squills of different species, glory of the snow, checkered frittary, tulip species mostly tarpa but some turkmenisan and single plants of other tulip species due to their cost, losses, and are experimental, and a few grape hycaith. I had planted some more species of tulips and frittary this fall but are nervous about finding the right kinds of daffodils due to their classification of varieties and lack of information about species daffodils for the regular gardens not rock gardens. I followed the directions but still gots losses and it doesn't look like rodents are a big problem and I planted the daffodils in areas that get the most sun.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting