SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

sweet potatoes I'm trying to sprout getting moldy

neohippie
13 years ago

Last year I grew a pretty decent crop of sweet potatoes, and was wanting to carry them on to this year. I'm keeping the bigger roots to eat and took out some of the smaller roots to sprout. I had a windowbox planter with nothing in it, and thought that would be good to start them in. Since I know sweet potatoes only sprout out one end, and I'm not sure which end is up, I put about an inch of wet soil in the bottom of the windowbox, then laid the roots down on top and just kind of pushed them in, but they're not covered up. I was planning on turning them right side up and covering them the rest of the way with soil once they started sprouting.

They're sitting in front of a window in the house, and have started to get patches of mold on them. Not all of them do, but a few. What should I do now? Are the ones with mold ruined? Should I cover them up with soil? Could they be too wet? Should I try to find a warmer place in my house to put them?

My other sweet potatoes are in the unheated garage, which is pretty cool in the winter, but doesn't get quite freezing. Those are the ones I plan on eating. But I had one sweet potato that was in the kitchen just sitting on the counter, and it sprouted, so I planted it in a pot, and it's doing well. That's what gave me the idea to try starting some more on purpose. But of course now that I TRY to get some to sprout, they mold!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert