SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faithling_gw

long-season carrot varieties

16 years ago

I'm having trouble finding a storage carrot variety that I can plant in late June while the weather is still cool and damp (for easily germinating carrots) and that will be at peak harvest condition in late November when the weather is cold enough for effective winter storage outside with mulch or in a root cellar.

I don't know if it's the effects of climate change or what but I used to start Bolero and other common storage varieties (listed at around 75 days) around the summer solstice and have perfect carrots for winter. In the past several years those carrots have been getting "overcooked," not at peak ripeness when consistently cold weather finally stops growth and provides sufficiently low temps for storage.

Anyone else in the north having this problem? I've tried starting seeds in July/Aug but have trouble with germination, slugs, etc during the warm summer months. Vacations, house guests, etc., don't help with carrot success at that time either.

So I'm hoping to find a longer season carrot with excellent winter keeping characteristics and good fresh eating flavor (90+ days?). Any suggestions?

Comments (5)