SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerpilot

underplanting the tree lilac - root advice?

flowerpilot
16 years ago

Greetings! This forum is a wealth of knowledge, hoping you can provide some advice on a garden situation.

We have a japanese tree lilac in the front yard. It was 6-8 ft tall when we bought it 9 yrs ago, been doing well, tops are even with the 2nd floor window now. We ordered it, along with the ever-popular spirea and low-growing junipers to go around it, when we were new to the house, and open to suggestion (yard was plain grass before then).

Planted some tulips around the outer ring of the tree line about 6-7 years ago - beautiful blooms for a couple of years, then they petered out.

Have been focusing on other parts of the garden (hostas on the north side, roses on the south, veggies in back) for a while, and after finally getting sick enough of the juniper to remove it this summer (that was a task!), the area around the japanese lilac is somewhat bare. The three spireas there are looking a bit unhealthy (green leaves on only a few spots, leafless branches elsewhere), so I'm thinking about removing them as well (another easy job :) ), and converting the spot to a 'tulips in the spring, summer annuals later on' setup.

My question is... in order to get bulbs deep enough, I'm going to be digging into some fairly hard soil here. did a lot of amendments to work up from clay, but it will still be a tough road. As it is, I'll need to add some soil to this area to get the depth I think I'll need.

Will such digging (6-8 inches) harm the roots of the tree lilac? I don't know if their root system is shallow by nature, or if they can withstand some disruption. I've already marked this as a no-rototiller area, much as it would make mixing the soil easier.

Of course, all the bulbs came in this week, and they're downstairs waiting for a new home... I can find places elsewhere in gerden if need be, but would like to gain perspective if this is more of an uphill battle than it's worth.... advice appreciated.

Thanks, Leslie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville