SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tragikmuse

General Newb Questions

tragikmuse
17 years ago

As a child my father always had a garden. Unfortnately as I grew up enough to appreciate it, he was gone. For many years, I have wanted to have a garden just never had the land available to do it. Being a military brat, you never settle in one place very long so it makes a real garden hard to do. Now, with my mother overseas, i am keeping her home and she woudl kill me if i tore up a section of the back yard so i have decided container gardening is for me! As a total newb, i have a ton of questions and sifting thru all teh information in the forum has proved both intimidating and incomplete as i can never find exactly what i am looking for. Any help you guys can offer would be amazing. It's worth mentioning that i am on an extremely limited budget as i work partime and am in school for herbalism and aromatherapy as well as computers.

I am primarily interested in growing the following: lettuce, onions, tomatos, garlic, cucumbers, green beans, brocolli, carrots, okra, zucchini, yellow crooked neck squash, potatos, peppers, ginger, spinach, and perhaps some melons like cantaloupe or honeydew (watermelons would be nice but i am concerned about space) and berries like strawberries and black berries. I'm not sure what types of these is really compatible with my zone (8) and will do well in containers. I would like to grow these mostly organically (if it can apply to plastic pots) so i am interested in strains that are disease resistant.. This is where I seem to need the most help. If you've a good idea where i can get the seed, that will help as well since most of the seed i see sold hasn't got the type on it save for the Burpee's display.

I am also curious as to how big the containers need to be for the various plants i have mentioned. I imagine that some will requires larger containers than others. I have few herbs started in smaller pots and a window box right now but for the other plants i am basically clueless. I don't have a whole lot to work with at the moment and so cost here becomes and issue. I have maybe 5 5 gallon buckets left over from the pool's chorlrine containers that i have left outside for a year to collect rain water and air out. Would it be safe to use them? Any ideas on where or how to get cheap containers otherwise would be a big help!

Also, i am concerned about the type of soil to use. In the stores you see potting mix and garden mix. I really have no clue what the difference in soils are. I'd like for the soil to be fairly inexpensive and chemical free. I'm probably going to hit the organic section of the site forums to see if any one has any ideas but in case one or some of you has an idea, i just thought i would mention it.

Lastly, any tips on getting a good yeild? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida