SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theexcitedgrower

Just Started A Garden

TheExcitedGrower
11 years ago

Hello! I'm 16 years old and I just started a garden. I really need alot of help and information and I was hoping if I joined this forum you guys could help me along the way.

I started off by digging a patch ( i'm not sure the length ) probably around 7-10 feet by 4 feet.(this measurement is completlely wrong and I will be posting a picture tomorrow). The patch is about 2 inches deep of fresh bought soil. Now before I did this I plowed abunch of the soil from the natural Earth ( with a tool I dont know the name of ) and removed alot of the roots. Keep in mind I have no knowledge of gardening and I was very excited.. Anywho the soil seemed nice and smooth. So I evened it out. Then I layed the bought soil over the ground soil. There was abunch of clumps, so me and my brother went in and squished all the clumps, so that the soil was smooth. Then I leveled it all out.

Now this is why I came here becuase I was scared, that this might ruin the whole thing. The whole patch is BELOW ground level. The flat ground/grass around it it like about a inch or 2 above the patch. Now i'm pretty sure that's not good due to the fact I read alot about '' Raised Beds". We didn't buy enough soil. I'm a very impatient guy ( ironic becuase gardening takes alot of patience) I went in and planted everything.

I divided the garden. We bought one plant of jalapenos. 8 cucumber plants. 8 cantaloupes seeds which sprouted in a pot a week before and now have leaves. And one spearment plant. I gave the cantaloupes and spearment alot of room becuase i'm pretty sure there going to need it and the cucumbers and jalapenos I put to the side. Again i'll post a picture tomorrow. I watered them decently before it got dark, again I think this was a mistake but I was impatient. I'm going to check on everything tommorow. Oh yeah I plan on buying some terraces to put on the cantaoupes and cumcumbers and jalapenos. I also plan to divide the spearment very harshley becuase I know they spread and take over. I've been growing spearmint for 4 years. I use it for tea.

I hope this wasn't to much to absorb. I plan on being more clear in future posts but i'm terribly tired and wanted to get some insite on this " lowered garden ". Hopefully it could have a positive effect? :D I apoligze for the horrible grammer and spelling.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional