SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcvilleneuve

Just starting, tips very welcome, Nederland + dog pee!

jchaber
16 years ago

Hello. I am just starting my garden since moving to the rockies from zone 17--I have lived in fickle 17 (according to Sunset, but generally zone "9") for the last three cities I have lived in! No sun ever...nothing grows...everything diseased and fogged out...

Anyway, now that I am in a beautiful arid and sunny zone, I am wondering where to start. I made it simple and went to the nursery and asked a sales clerk. I picked up:

some petunias, the regular kind and the spreading kind

some calibrachoa

marigolds

I wanted pelargoniums, but was unsure of how they would do with all the sun I get...all day. I would love roses, too, but am not sure there are any for my area.

Another thing is that all winter long the chihuahuas would pee in the old garden beds as they had the least snow on them. Although I had been picking up their poo, the pee saturated in. Do I need to do anything special besides till and top soil? I have never been that big on fertilizing, but I think if I do fertilize this year, I should figure out what kind of balance, seeing as how pee is alkaline.

Any tips would be very welcome!!

oh, and on a nice sunny day, I planted, went in from the rain, planted in the sun, ran in from the rain, planted, went in, planted........finally, it started to drop slushy rain! I covered my new little plants, but the sun is out again and they look terrific!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice,

Jennifer

Comments (15)