SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foreverlad

Advice Needed: Elephant Ears

foreverlad
11 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a couple of elephant ears coming to me this week and could use some advice.

3 plants (they're already started, not bulbs):

-Jack's Giant Colocasia

-Alocasia Portora

-Black Magic Colocasia

My property has shade, sun, part sun, etc. but I don't have any boggy conditions here in Pinellas County Fl.

Due to potential droughts, even during the summer, I'm wary of planting in the ground, though I know it would serve the plants best. Though I'm doing a lot of work in the garden right now, I don't want to be married to 3 plants that require near-daily care.

Soil Conditions: The soil isn't very rich. It's mostly a sand/dirt combination with some leaf litter scattered about. Everything I plant gets soil treatment, amended both above and below, fertilized as necessary (and often, with EE's).

My original intent was to purchase a few 24" pots (no drainage) from a BBS, mix Milorganite, manure and potting soil, and nearly drown the plants (once I know they're established)with a bog-like soil consistency.

Potting in the soil would require plenty of amending (about the same as my potted variation), but with no real way to retain water in the soil, outside of mulching.

The Alocasia Portora (aka portadora) is likely going into the ground a little ways from the kitchen. That one can be ground-bound without issue, and with not quite-so boggy conditions

My questions are three:

1. Would a non-draining plastic pot in part shade maintain moisture better than a rather barren partly-shaded area of the yard?
  2. What is the ideal container size for the larger varieties of Colocasias that you want to grow to their full potential? Under ideal conditions, I'd replant yearly, but I'm just not sure ANY container will be big enough under ideal conditions.
  3. I read a lot of conflicting information on sun requirements. If they're started as young plants and watered extremely well, should the Black Magic and Jack's Giant be okay with full sun in zone 9B/10?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I'm not very clear or you need more info, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

Comments (9)