SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinlmorris

Mix advice for fabric pots

Robin Morris
10 years ago

Hi, I am new home owner (of an old home) and after years of apartment life I am excited to start gardening againâ¦.
I have a small property with a lot of paved semi-shady areas (neighbor has a large tree), so for the first year or two I have decided to buy a ton of root pouches that I can move around easily to figure out what I can grow where before building any permanent raised beds.
I have spent the last 2 weeks in my spare time reading and watching videos about gardening including a lot of the great posts on this forum (information overload!!), but I am still unsure of what kind of mix to use in my planters.

The fabric pots are containers; however, it has been mentioned on this forum that the the fabric containers dry out faster than typical containers. I am busy during the week⦠so not the most consistent waterer. Therefore, I am thinking that using straight 5:1:1 may not be the best mix for my conditions⦠I read a lot about square foot gardening, so I am considering using a hybrid of Mel's mix. Would that be a good idea? Or should I use 5:1:1 and just add some vermiculite for water retention? I am also thinking that replacing ~3-4 yards of mix/5:1:1 every year can be very expensive, so should I try the gritty mix? What soil would you use if you were me?

Some added info in case it helps: The containers are 5, 7, 20, and 30 gallons (10 of each) and one 200 gallon; most will be on cement, but some will be set on dirt or wood chips. I will be growing all vegetables and some fruits (melons). Also summers here in San Mateo are cool (as summers go) and desert dry (water evaporates instantly).

Also my local landscape supply has a few kinds of small fir bark:
http://www.lyngsogarden.com/
Something called 1/4 Inch Minus Fir Bark and a whole lot of mulches.
Would any of these work for the 5:1:1 mix? How about for the gritty mix?

Thanks in advance! I am sure I will have a lot more questions in the future as I am just getting started!

Robin

This post was edited by robinlmorris on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 0:36

Comments (4)