SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fmogul_gw

hard bulb science to back up conventional bulb wisdom?

15 years ago

I'm sure this has been dealt with, but perhaps not quite with this angle...

I know conventional wisdom and common sense dictates leaving bulb leaves alone after they bloom, to replenish and build for the next year. But, does anyone know ... is there any hard science behind this? Have any studies been done comparing bulbs with and without leaves cut down? Hopefully there are some professional hortIculturists out there who can shed light on this.

Experienced gardeners out there, please weigh in with your anecdotal experience, too!

I have a very small garden, and am thinking of doing away with daffodils altogether, in favor of shorter (albeit less dramatic) bulbs. I could just 'cede the franchise' to the rock iris and chionodoxa and some others that behave better. Two months of waiting for daffodil leaves to wither and die drives me crazy and clutters everything up in my very limited space.

Of course, you can "overplant" daffodils and other bulbs with hostas and the like, and I do -- for much of the area. But is there really any difference between letting hostas, etc., smother bulb leaves and just chopping them down?!?

Comments (5)