SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamkh_gw

Doing it the old fashioned way

jamkh
17 years ago

I realize the advantage of adopting new, modern and improved techniques in bonsai, yet somehow I prefer to stick to the old fashioned way. Please excuse the many imperfections in the specimens I now put out, the reason I was earlier reluctant to show pics of my attempt at bonsai. I am after all still quite a newbie and hope to get some encouragement from generous masters.

These specimens do not follow the Japanese styling but more the Chinese, namely the Szechuan and the Tung schools , 2 of the 8 predominant styles in China. The way I present these will never do justice to the artistry and aesthetic beauty these two schools have achieved as I have used variations of their styles, being a non-conformist by nature. Also in all my specimens I have only attacked the main trunk of the tree and have not commenced to train branches and foliage yet. I am now allowing the trunk to thicken naturally to create the illusion of aging but avoiding the over exaggeration in order to create balance. Hopefully by next spring I will attend to the higher areas and the negari (trunk root). So they are a long way from the finishing point.

I liked the Szechuan school better because the specimen appears strikingly unnatural but yet retains balance and charm of its own.In the Szechuan bonsai the corner bends are always right angled but lying in one plane. Mine is a variation of that style in that the bend continues in a different plane each time as illustrated by the Crimson King maple. I have only been able to create two and a half of these bends whereas the Szechuan school has any number greater than 7 bends. The good side of 3D bends is it allows you to choose any position to be your front view. With 2D you are limited to 2 positions, the front or the back, Another interesting variation of this style is to smooth out the sharp bend in the right angle as seen in the 16" dogwood, Cornelian Cherry.

In the Tung school, the emphasis is on creating the S curves, called the "two half bends" technique but again all movement lies in the same plane. Here as shown in the pic of the Japanese Pine, I did follow their design. I will continue the bends as the plant grows taller. However I am also training a white pine in this style but allowing the bends to turn in 3-dimensions (another variation, I guess). Another bold and wild variation of the S bend is seen in the upright 39' tall dogwood, which may be totally alien to this school, but nevertheless it was the S bend that inspired this design.

Well here goes the reluctant novice for what he is worth.

Here's the link:

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r139/jamkh/

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations