SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thams_gw

Miniature Brush Cherry Back Budding Question

thams
11 years ago

Hi All,

I recently purchased a miniature Brush Cherry nursery plant to convert to a bonsai specimen. It's doing well and loving it's new pot and increased sunlight in contrast to it's previous life in a pot shoved in a corner behind taller trees.

I know compacting the foliage of a bonsai can take many growing seasons and I'm up for the task. My question is how far should I prune to induce back budding closer to the trunk? The idea is to obviously produce tight ramification through continuous pruning. My tree (see picture) only forks at the end of the branches though.

Should I prune the old wood branches back hard in early spring to produce leaves closer to the trunk? Will pruning off the ends with all the leaves potentially kill the tree (I know timing is crucial)? I know Brush Cherries are very hardy, but I don't want to push the tree too hard at once. I plan on caring for this tree for many many years to come, so I'm willing to go slowly. I just want to make sure that I'm using the proper pruning technique for this particular tree.

For a sense of scale, the tree is roughly 20 inches high including the pot. Thanks everyone!

Comments (8)

Sponsored