SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Polka-dot Plant or other shade annuals

I'm trying to get some annuals for shade in two separate gardens, both are under ash trees. I originally started Caladiums for these spots but they all died. Now I need something else and there's not much left out there.

I tried Impatiens there last year and they never performed, while their "sisters from the six packs" that I planted in the mostly full-sun main garden bed became huge monsters. So much for shade and impatiens!

At the garden center today they had mostly only sun annuals left: I had to really hunt to find anything marked "for shade". I have coleus elsewhere so don't want to use it here.

I bought pink polka dot plants, but know nothing about them: like how big they get, how much they spread, will they take full shade or need dappled, etc. I have both conditions.

Anyone know anything about these? Or other annuals that will still tolerate shade and bloom. I can still get petunias, but have always planted those in full sun, and the common red or purple salvias (not Salvia Farinaciae). I would try begonias but saw none. Is it worthwhile to hunt for them?

Comments (7)