SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 14

zen_man
13 years ago

Greetings all,

Welcome to this ongoing message thread. Once again, the previous part of this ongoing series, It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 13, is becoming rather long and slow to load, so we are continuing the series here for a fresh start.

The same guidelines apply here. Anything remotely related to zinnias is fine. As always, you are encouraged to post your pictures, but as a courtesy to readers with smaller monitors, try to keep the pictures posted no wider than 986 pixels.

This picture is 986 pixels wide, and it shows one of my current recombinant hybrid zinnias that has long narrow petals that are informally placed.

{{gwi:11059}}
This zinnia, and several others that have been transplanted to the garden in my new location, was originally started indoors at our old location and moved here.

I am using zinnia cages to help protect them from wind and from birds that might try to perch on their flowers. So far I haven't been able to breed zinnia stems strong enough to support the average bird. I guess I should try to incorporate some strong stem genes from the Benary's Giant strain.

ZM

Comments (99)