SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_beth_gw

moving siberian squill (scilla sibirica)

anna_beth
17 years ago

I discovered several siberian squill flowers in my garden! I have never planted them but my neighbour across the street has many so I believe they self-seeded with the wind. The colour is gorgeous vivid blue and I'd love to keep them and grow more. Some of them are growing in the part of the garden my dog uses and I'd like to move them from there to my flowerbeds.

My questions: can I move them now when they are flowering? If yes, should I water them first? The weather is rather cold (30+ F nights to 50+ F days) but the soil is getting dry because we haven't had snow for weeks. In a couple of days when the flowers are gone I will not find them again among the grass. I read the best time to move scilla is July - should I wait until then? And does a bulb live for many seasons or for one season only like a tulip bulb?

I will buy more this fall guaranteed. A plant that self-seeds in such a poor soil is a treasure, and I admired the lively colour in my neighbour's lawn each spring. I am so glad I now have them, too.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations