SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

??Tulip LEAVES - what's eating the tops off??

brit5467
14 years ago

This is my first year planting tulips so IÂm pretty naïve as to what to expect. IÂve searched the forum and see that squirrels like bulbs. IÂve had no problem with that. But do they eat the newly sprouted leaves??? Mine are about 2" high now and it looks like someone went across the top of them with a weed-whacker, taking off just a little bit.

And if they do eat them, are they so particular that they go after only one type of tulip versus another -- since IÂve got two other areas in the same small garden that isnÂt being bothered? But not with the same type tulip.

And if not, then what ELSE would be eating the tops off my leaves? (IÂll try to post a pic tomorrow if necessary.)

I donÂt live in the country, IÂm real close to a street and donÂt have lots of critters around (but I will say, in summer there are raccoons and possums at night). No deer and never see bunnies.

Only have a couple squirrels and they seem quite content with eating the fallout from my feeders plus what I put out for them. BUT -- the seed fallout IS in pretty much on top these leaves -- where this problem is happening. Could there be a connection to that? The seeds on top of the new growth and something trying to get to the seed???

Could it be the birds??? My mom says maybe itÂs my cat???

bonnie aka brit5467

Comments (15)