SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Germinating Sweet Peas...I need a trick.

runswithscissors
10 years ago

I grow sweet peas every year...and every year I have troubles. I'm wondering if anyone has a "trick"!

Once they sprout, they grow well, give great flowers and I love them.

My problem is getting them to sprout. Yes, I do soak them, for 3 days. (I tried the paper towel method once, and it failed completely.) (I've tried them on gentle heat, I've tried them room temp, I've tried them cool.)

Seems only one seed out of about 12 ever germinates...yes, seed is fresh. I like to start them ahead and transplant out because my short summer (zone 4) gives few flowers if I don't...they transplant well. This year I started in Jan because I know I will only get about 3 peas per tray, so I will have to try again in Feb, Mar and April. Out of about 40 seeds, I now have 8 healthy transplants.

So, I already know what you're going to say....try nicking the seed. Does anyone really do this or is this just the standard go-to advice? These are hard little suckers, very round, and small. Is there actually a method of holding on to them in order to nick them without cutting your finger or sending them flying off across the room?

Or perhaps you know of a special "secret" tip like playing the Beach Boys for them, fanning them with a palm frond or shaking a chicken over them (gently, to minimize squawking)?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor