SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Sweet peas (long and waffling)

User
11 years ago

Every year, I have the same dilemma - should I be a good gardener and grow my sweet peas on a neat cordon, tying them in and cutting the tendrils and side shoots......or should I just let them run amok. Yeah, I know the best long stems and largest flowers are a given when they get the individual treatment but I have to do this endless tying in and tweaking with the tomatoes so the sweet peas usually sends me over the top....and this year will be especially bad because, as it is my last year on the allotment, I ran amok and sowed hundreds of them (19 varieties).
Painful compromises - I often start well then sorta 'ease off' as the general horticultural chaos reaches a peak, just as the peas are full on. And then, the deadheading! If you miss even 1 pod, will the plants close down flower production? How many can I get away with....or how long with pods? If I wasn't so frazzled by then, I would probably have been more observant, but every year, July passes in a frantic blur until here we go again, it's the next year and I am still clueless.
So, what do you do?

Comments (16)