SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Advice with form

Cena
17 years ago

Hello, all.

I am seeking some direction on how to achieve form.

I have this Crassula ovata that I've been working with for 15 years, and I just realized the pictures that I have are not going to help you, give me, advice. I will look and see if I have more clear photos.

This is an Azalea pot that it has been in the last 15 years. I pull it out and trim roots every other year or so. It is starting to get root 'growth' up the stem just because I haven't figured out how to clear that away. I'll post some pictures and you can tell me what you think.

I orginally came here to get a good site for photos of a Wind Swept form, as I have a Euphorbia milii that I need to train. I will post some of those also, hoping someone can direct me to a photo gallery where I can get inspiration I can apply.

I did a Google Search, scanned ArtofBonsai but decided I needed something more basic and guess where the next link I saw that was promising? Being a long-time member in the past, I thought to myself, who better to ask than GW

enthusiasts?

Jade plant bonsai. I've not worked with it enough to get smaller leaves, not sure that regular trimming would do that. Anyway...

{{gwi:6684}}
{{gwi:6686}}

These photos are three years old, but can give you an idea of trunk.

{{gwi:6688}}
Here you can see I cleaned up abit, and likely took that other drooping stem out, after I saw this pix!

{{gwi:6690}}

These are early last year pix, and show the trunk well. The first two pix were late last year, closer to Fall.

{{gwi:6691}}Guess I'm looking for a difinitive shape to give this plant, could you suggest a site, or a form you think would work for it? By June it will be in the local Cactus & Succulent show for San Diego.

This is the plant I need the Wind Swept Inspiration for.

{{gwi:6693}}
Leaves and flowers, plus some challenges...

{{gwi:6695}}
Second year, show picture, notice no ribbon?

{{gwi:6697}}

When I talked to a judges assistant I asked why my plant didn't show well. He felt the pot could be different, maybe a tall pot, and that I could shape the plant better, in a 'Wind Swept' form to accentuate the plant structure. I've been trying to prune, but it gives me stomach trouble.

So, I thought I'd ask the experts.

So, what site to you use to pattern when you are first forming?

I appreciate all comments, any suggestions, and all input.

Thank you for taking the time to look, I appreciate it very much.

It make take me a day or three to get back here, but never fear, I will come back.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting