SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haase_gw

Do you think this is kind of a sorry forum????

haase
13 years ago

I find that people don't reply, and others post a question but don't return to it to find out the answer that somebody might have provided, .... kind of sad.

A "lame" forum, if you ask me. Have to find another spot.

Balcony gardening soooo interests me!!!

I bet nobody responds to this!!

Comments (36)

• cynna_leaf
    13 years ago

I think most of us end up looking in the container forum, which is quite busy. I've found a tonne of info there, though the gigantic tote containers many use in there are certainly different from what most of us would use on a balcony.

Similarily I've been looking in the bulb forum area, as I am planting up bulbs for the spring. But again, not much of any info on setting up planters - it's all about in-ground planting.

I don't think we should give up on this area, just yet. :)

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Cynna Leaf,

I just checked out the container forum. It's amazing. I feel a new obsession/addiction coming on.

Thanks (I think LOL)

A girl named "Max"

• Related Discussions

What do you think of first , when you think of things.... .....

Q

Comments (6)
    Ornithogalums??? Oh vetivert, you are bad, but Ornithogalum is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of spring chores and getting to work outside, usually in late Feb. Now I realize my question could have and should have been phrased a lot better. How about this? If the Bulb Forum members would submit their (own) pics of plants and blooms grown from bulbs for a new forum picture, what should it be? . Should it be open to anything grown from bulbs? Should it maybe exclude such things that have more 'specific' forums of their own, such as Lily, Tropical, and House Plant? Should it be an individual bloom, or as you suggested, maybe a still life flower arrangement of numerous delectable blooms grown from bulbs? Please 'scuse me for just having tunnel vision and tunnel thoughts of just Daffodils. At any rate, the folks who are having their spring now, can hopefully be trying to get some great pics. Ok...so when does anyone think we could/should start taking picture submissions? Should we wait until late 2010 so glads could be included by those in the US who grow them? Should we wait a full year (or nearly) so the members down under have an opportunity to have another summer blooming season, like for glads? hmmm...what is fairest? I guess before proceeding, I should check with the 'Powers that be' to see for sure if they would be willing to get the pic changed and updated with a pretty pic of our choosing. I hope lots of folks will give their input and in time, post their pics for entry. In doing a search here on the forum, it seems that Tulips and Daffs are the 2 things most often posted about. I imagine though that tulips are most frequently asked about, due to them having problems, or emerging early, or for not blooming a second season when they are thought to be perennials like daffodils. Here is a spring 2009 pic of a bouquet of Daffodil Show rejects. Hopefully in 2010, I can put together a much better arrangement and pic. Sue...hoping/planning to start daff planting today...maybe
    ...See More

Do you think the Plant Exchange forum has too many pages?

Q

Comments (2)
    On another site I'm on, we can "close" the post. We can click a link that adds the word "CLOSED" to the beginning of the title, informing folks that the offer is no longer available. I know a lot of folks just don't take the time to read all the posts on a thread. BC
    ...See More

What kind of hardwood floors do you think these are?

Q

Comments (5)
    I only use BonaKemi products in my work. They are sometimes available to the creative DIY'er...although they are designed to be professional use products. Waterborne polyurethane from an established wood floor finish manufacturer is a good choice for this or any floor. I would stain that floor with DriFast natural stain and then coat with Traffic semigloss with satin as the final coat. Mega is also a good product. There are many others by other manufacturers...this is just one I work with. Oilbase polyurethane will give you great color initially, but will yellow some as it ages.
    ...See More

What kind of wood do you think this is

Q

Comments (7)
    I think it's probably maple. Maple does not take stain well and the finish on the cabinets looks a little blotchy or uneven in places. Birch stains much more evenly than that. Oak stains well too, but you would see the distinctive oak grain (unless it was quartersawn).
    ...See More
  • haase
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another solution would be to concentrate on a forum that specializes on a particular plant, like a geranium for instance. Myself, I used to connect to the Brugmansia (Angel Trumpet) forum quite frequently. I love those plants. But my patio got too small to keep that many large pots and plants. There was no more room to sit anywhere. Now I only have two Brugs left.
    The Brug forum was the best I ever found. Friendly people who were knowledgeable and gave good advice, and you got to know them better and better.
    Ingrid

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

I love some of the photos I find posted here. They help me see the potential on my covered patio.

• marquest
    13 years ago

This is the better forum if people are looking for ornamental plants for their balcony. The container forum has turned into soil and vegetable garden. Not much ornamental plants pics or discussions there any more.

If you want to learn how to make grity soil or grow veggies the Container Forum is where you need to be. LOL

• pink_warm_mama_1
    12 years ago

There are so many people who love plants and gardening but have only a balcony to fulfill their desire that it seems most important to keep this forum going.

• eicher
    12 years ago

I'm not sure what anybody would really need to know about balcony gardening besides how to grow in containers and how to save space... Which can obviously be found in other topics. The container gardening section is probably turning to a vegetable discussion because anybody who grows a lot of ornamentals in pots realizes pretty quickly that it's not the most fulfilling.

For the last 2 years, I have grown the following in pots, all from seed:
    Zinnias, Dahlias, Morning Glories, Snapdragons, Candytuft, Gaillardia, Lunaria, 4 o'clocks, and some others that I can't remember.

These things were fun to grow, but to me, ornamentals deserve to be arranged into a landscape. Growing them in pots is fun until they start to bloom and you realize that you just have flowers in a pot... It doesn't look pretty and it doesn't serve any purpose. To me it's only worth while if you're growing cutting flowers in containers.

• nygardener
    12 years ago

Balcony gardening is an art form that's unique to urban spaces. It can be tough to weave plants through railings, find arrangements that are pleasing to those living across a courtyard or passing on the street, water without soaking the neighbors below, overwinter plants that may be suspended hundreds of feet in the air, and deal with stark shadows and baking sun. It's fun to see how others are creatively facing such challenges!

• User
    12 years ago

......I just found this forum, so don't stop now!
    I have a house and yard, but I am really fond of courtyard style gardens, a la New Orleans, surrounded by brick walls or adjacent buildings. Limited space in a real courtyard, but emulating such a lovely intimate space is something that appeals to me.

So you could say that balcony gardening can be a good place to come for help. Quite likely, some of you must leave your plants on the balcony because of limited space inside, so that can require knowledge of the plants too.

It is unique to urban spaces, as NYGardener says.

• PVick
    12 years ago

This forum used to be hopping in years gone by, but, as usually happens, people move on - for any number of reasons. Soooooo, it's up to the newcomers to get it going again, instead of calling it "sorry". This forum was originally a spin-off from the Container Gardening forum, formed for people who have NO "ground-gardening" area at all.

Contrary to what eicher says, I find it VERY fulfilling to grow ornamentals in pots. I don't have a "landscape" in which to plant them, so I make the most of what I have, which is simply a concrete balcony, eleven floors up. I grow perennials, annuals, vegetables - anything I can get my grubby mitts on. I grow mostly from seed - which I absolutely enjoy, even if I have to wait sometimes 4 years to see the fruits of my labor (like my Tiger Lilies from bulbils). Of course, since I love plants, I've been known to buy a few too. And even if no one agrees with me, I think my balcony garden is BEAUTIFUL, ornamentals and all.

I think that rather than criticize the lack of activity on the forum, or disdain an individual's desire to have nature's beauties around, those of us who are interested can make this forum viable again.

I'm certainly willing to add my two cents when I can.

If you're interested, you can see my garden over the years in my Flickr albums.

PV

• pippi21
    12 years ago

PVick...I never tire of viewing your albums..your plants are always so lush and healthy. You give new meaning to balcony gardening. Thank You for sharing your photos..I learn so much from your photos. I'd be proud to be your neighbor and would look forward to the beauty you create for yourself and others.

I notice that you sometimes have like wire cage over certain plants. I'm assuming that it has a purpose. Is it to protect the plants from birds and squirrels or for support or guidance to have the plant remain self contained in that container? What type of wire is that? I swear you have a knack at making a perfect circle out of it or a dome effect. How do you manage that?

I hope the new poster takes the time to look at all your albums. They will see such beauty, learn some new tricks of balcony gardening and hopefully get plenty of inspiration from you.

You are always so kind and generous in sharing not only your love for plants/flowers but your ideas. Thank You again!

• PVick
    12 years ago

Thanks, pippi!

The wire cages are made of plastic hardware cloth; I use them mainly to keep the birds from carting away my young seedlings or decimating the re-emerging perennials in spring. I've got starlings up here, and in spring, they will pluck entire seedlings out of the pots for their nests. They're the ones that give me the most trouble. The pigeons and I have maintained a truce, of sorts - I do sometimes have to chase them off from building nests on the terrace, but they don't really bother my plants much at all.

Glad you enjoy my photos!

PV

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I am very impressed myself with your flowers! Thanks for the invite.

My first time here and it seems like nice bunch of people:-)

I have stumbled onto this forum from the container and citrus one where I spend most of my time. Most of my plants I have to winter inside including fig are in containers.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

wow..You weren't kidding..lol

This is the slowest forum I have ever seen.

Mike

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

There are actually slower forums, like Topiary. If you can think of a topic for discussion, then by all means, please post. A slow forum is better than no forum.

One of the houses I lived in had window boxes and I loved the look of them even though they were in almost total shade. I noticed there were HUGE spiders living in them and removed them when I had the windows replaced. When I set them at the edge of the front walk, they looked really cute since they were already painted to match the trim. Part of the reason I occasionally visit this forum is to see if anyone has any cool/beautiful window boxes to tease me.

I don't have a balcony but keep a lot of plants on my porches except when it's very cold.

• jolj
    12 years ago

I love this site & the regulars, like Al, Al,Lloyd,John, Wayne & Ann.
    I think people float in & out of the site & the forums, but the regulars hold the fort down & we all are better for it.
    I do not think the floater mean to be rude, they just forget to check back or where they left a comment.
    I made 5 comments on 5 site though a search today, I know, because I wrote the forums down so I could check back.
    Never found the thread I was looking for, but a regular gave me the answer. So the system worked for me.

• georgeiii
    11 years ago

Another forum you might be interesdted in is Hydroponics. Look under the Dark Garden. Especially The Sustainable Hydroponics. Even shows you how to grow fruits and nuts in limited space. Then check out Photobucket and look under ChristianWarlock there's years worth of pictures under different albums.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

I'm going to start coming here regularly! I don't have a balcony, but I have container plants on the stairs in front of my house, and it is still a limited space.

Like marquest said over a year ago, the container forum has turned into vegetable pots. I don't plant vegetables. I plant bulbs and seeds. I check the appropriate forums for those, but sometimes I want a little extra reading/brainstorming. I think this balcony forum is the place for it.

I'll be back!

• pink_warm_mama_1
    11 years ago

rachelthepoet - I would love to see how you are arranging your plants on the steps. Imagine it would be lovely!

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Thanks pinkwarmmama! I'll try to do a photoshoot this week and post it over under the "Here's mine, let's see yours" post.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

balcony gardening is mostly seasonal, so i guess most people disappear for winter and that causes discontinuity. i use my balcony as an extension of indoor garden and migrate a lot of my house plants to it for summer vacation. so for 3 months is kind of tropical with addition of some annuals and ivies and some bought flowers for show. and i mostly find the info in other plant specific forums. there is not enough detail here to be very useful.

11 years ago

Ideas I found on this forum inspired me to do a few new things on my porch this year, and I've got new ideas percolating for next year. ...like using staggered heights for hanging pots, and using the support posts in various ways. Hope I never run out of fun things to do with fishing line!

It's a shame the forum isn't called "balconies and porches" because they are similar, and a lot of people with porches might come by if so. No matter the height, it's a unique form of gardening within the container realm when you account for the possible... railings, support posts, roofs, shifting sun angles, added wind, inability to water to overflowing due to sealed environment or deference to those below, weight restraints, and a host of other things that are factors and concerns when putting containers in these types of environments.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

porches, balconies, terraces, window-boxes it's all connected - it's the smallest garden really. the space is at a premium. my balcony is only 4-5' by 14' and facing ne with almost no sun, but very bright - so it takes a big effort and trial and error to make it look good. i can sit on my living room couch and see it too - so it becomes an extension of prime public space. so i really groom it endlessly (with pleasure most of the time... unless it's pots lifting and washing...aaag--h!). i figured lots of strategies in 5 years to minimize watering and upkeep, but it's a full time job really.No complains from me though, am training for a real garden hopefully in the next 3 years.

11 years ago

After growing in pots, you'll be amazed how much easier it is, in almost all instances, to garden in the ground. Good luck on that! I wish I could see my front porch while I'm at my computer.

I think the new feature where anyone who posts to a thread can now receive an update email will help all of the forums to be more active, and useful.

• jeannienyc
    11 years ago

Hello! I'm somewhat new to Garden Forum. I have a balcony garden so am glad to see there is a forum for balcony gardeners. I do notice that there aren't frequent follow-up posts for balcony forums but that may change once the weather gets warmer, which as i can see, is the time when the Balcony Garden forum has activity.

I just came off a pretty interesting first year of balcony gardening. We grew tomato plants and had a pretty good harvest.

I think having a forum for balcony garden is relevant as it a particular way of gardening. It's not just containers but how to also beautify and maximize the outdoor space especially if the balcony is in an urban setting. In my first year, i made the mistake of over planting/growing plants. It was an interesting and informative first year. Though i have read books and blogs about balcony gardening, it's much more helpful to have a forum with others who share in your trials and triumphs of gardening on a balcony.

Anyways, I look forward to posting here and reading what others have to say about the particulars of gardening on a balcony.

11 years ago

Hi jeannie, welcome to Gardenweb. Good to hear about your new balcony garden! Hope it's even better next year. The house plant forum on here is very active, if you get bored over the winter and have brought some plants inside. Tomatoes aren't the easiest plant, good for you for doing such a good job!

• jeannienyc
    11 years ago

Thanks @purpleinopp - will check out house plants.

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

Welcome Jeannie!

11 years ago

Just observing that if the new people would say HI also, conversations might get more lively... jump on in & at least say hi to each other!

If you're reading this and have never posted, feel free to just say Hi here, although of course nobody needs any invitation to say anything anywhere they want.

• VGtar
    11 years ago

Hi all! I've been away from the forum a few years. In the beginning when I was here, I think it was a very lively forum, then it became a bit slower, but who are to blame for that? WE ARE! -The successes I've had, are mainly because of this forum, so I would hate to see it die, and will certainly do what I can to keep it going this year!
    My balcony has been a dessert more or less for a couple of years, due to me travelling a bit a couple of years ago (which dried out most of my perennials), then last year, I knocked over ALL my seedlings, and got so crossed, that I refused to start new ones. -Then I killed most of my indoor plants by introducing some exotic, fast spreading fungus to them (it took a couple of DAYS). -However, I now have (too many?) trays with seeds in my living room.... and a desire to outdo myself yet again.
    I'm happy to see PVick is still here, Hi Vick! -And wonder if JennyinPA is still around. Purpleinopp, I just meet a couple of days ago on the house plant forum, where she introduced me to fairy gardening, lol, Hi Purple!
    To everyone else, that I haven't met yet, HELLOOO ALL!

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

Hey! Jenny just posted in the design thread-- so she is still around! I am hoping this forum picks back up. I'm trying. Sorry to hear about your plant troubles.

• VGtar
    11 years ago

Hi Julianna! Nice to meet you! -Let÷s hope Jenny jumps on the bandwagon then!
    Well, one thing is the balcony plants... most of the ones I had where hardly irreplaceable... Granted, I doá¹Â÷t really see a hole in my economy for a new Rose Zephyrine Drouhin at the moment, but I can ALWAYS get a new one, and until then, there are so many annuals that I can sow (which is, what I÷m doing this year).
    It is much worse with the house plants. Some of those, I had had since I moved away from home 20 years ago. Others where heirlooms from my grandparents. When that disaster happened, I was working double shifts, and didn÷t really check what was going on, until too late. Everything simply died right above the root, then "melted" into a nasty mush and got covered with black fungus. I÷ve never seen anything like it... that fungus worked lightening fast.... Two orchids and two other plants that where dormant at the time, survived... everything else died! All due to a crassula, that jumped into my cart at the supermarket. From bringing home the plant, to throwing everything out, took a week! I÷ve never seen anything like it before!
    In the future, everything I bring home, will spend a week, out on the stairs, before making it into the flat or onto my balcony! The only downside to that, is, that I once had a plant stolen from out there, but I÷ll rather have that happen, than killing everything inside!

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

Of course! I think it's a good risk to take. Losing the heirlooms must be hard. Did anyone have replacements in your family? I have a few heirloom plants myself, and when we move overseas I plan on taking them. One is a Schlumbergera x buckleyii my great grandma brought here from Germany around 1900. I have cuttings of course, not the original plant-- but I plan on taking it with me!

• VGtar
    11 years ago

Well, I had given my sister cuttings of just about everything, unfortunately she has a brown thumb. So she had managed to kill them all. I know my mum has a cutting of my grandparent÷s Clivia (that they got on their wedding day). She also has some other plants of theirs, but only things that get too big for my small flat. I hope my youngest aunt has some of the plants as well, but my mum has told me not to count on it, as apparently she doesn÷t look after her plants anymore, but I will have a look, next time I÷m in that part of the country.
    I also had a Schlumbergera x buckleyi - not from my grandparents though. It was struggling for the first 10 years or so, and I thought nothing good would ever come out of it... then all of a sudden it decided to show it÷s worth, and became HUGE over 2 years with LOADS of flowers in January (normally it would just give me 4 or 5 flowers). I think it has to do with the fact, that I put it in a cheaper, more dense soil, that÷s the only explanation (even if not a very logical one).
    Be sure to check how to bring plants with you before you leave... Getting plants across boarders is not as easy today as it was a century ago. Bringing a dog might be a lot easier! However, I÷ve managed to smuggle cuttings of aptenia cordifolia and delosperma cooperi from Greece to Denmark in a water-bottle, without customs noticing anything.

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

I have managed smuggling over the years, but this time it should be a matter of speaking to the correct people.

I hope you find some replacements!

• VGtar
    11 years ago

I think we got a bit sidetracked there, sorry guys!
    Anyhow! I÷ve started a thread called "BREATHING LIFE BACK INTO THIS FORUM" -I hope those of you who still care about the Balcony Garden Forum, will join me in coming up with ways for getting this forum going again.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction