SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntbarbie

Rooting Hormone

AuntBarbie
10 years ago

Not really sure which forum I really want to be in so I thought I'd start here. I prepared some coleus cuttings with Bontone Rooting Powder, active ingredient Indole-3-bulyric acid .10%. Could this somehow alter the hybridization or molecular structure?

The cuttings took off like gangbusters. I was so intent on the amount of new growth that I was overlooking the color...not very bright of me. Depending on the plant, all the new growth was either dull green with little markings or a very dark muddy purple/brown with a tiny spot of color here and there. The new leaves on the muddy purples were almost round with a slight scallop to edge. The greens all had a slightly serrated edge. Uh-huh....round.

The plants were in bright light but not sunlight. I moved them into dappled shade thinking they lacked some sun.

The original leaves grew to humungous size size (not sure how big the leaves on the varied cuttings were supposed to be) - maybe 2/3 the size of a playing card - and retained their original color.

Now the weirdest part. I pinched them hard and the newest growth was totally different in shape, color and leaf edge from either the cutting or original growth.

Thoughts? Has anyone else had this experience with rooting hormone?

Comments (2)

Sponsored