SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma_ca

Fukien Tea crisis - is there any way back?

emma.ca
12 years ago

Oh dear, it had all been going so well!

I bought a bonsai recently (a Fukien Tea as it turns out, though it wasnt labelled correctly, which was part of the problem). I kept bonsai successfully as a child - it was one of my grandad's hobbies, he grew a lot of them, some of which he gave to me. I never had any problems with them back then, despite being 8!

Problems started when it grew extremely cold where I live (below zero) and my heating system broke! I had the fukien tea in a light place & it seemed to be doing fine, however with the broken heating I panicked that it would get too cold (I had heard that they can die from sudden temperature drops) so I moved it into a warmer room. It started to drop leaves - I looked up online and it seemed to indicate I needed to water more thoroughly, which I did. But the leaf dropping continued and after a couple of days I surmised that it was too dark in that room, so I moved it to my lodger's room which is light but also has heating. It was there for around 24 hours but she managed to knock it down from the windowsil & I was mortified and decided to not trust leaving it there! Its now not in good shape at all. Its dropped a lot of leaves and the ones that are left are fast discolouring.

Ive now put it back in the original room it was in but further from the window to hopefully avoid drafts. The heating firm has still not fixed the heating, a problem for me but also a problem for the tree!

Hmmmm....I guess Im wondering if theres any hope or anything else I can do except wait and hope? I havent watered it more as I came to the conclusion that it was over watered as the leaves had also turned yellow. They are not yellow any more, but they are still falling.

Is there any likelihood that it can recover from the sudden cold, being moved around and dropped on the floor?

Or should I prepare myself for the worst and try and get a hardier type next time?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Sigh.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus