SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joycevallee

My Unusual Fountain

joycevallee
20 years ago

This is a picture of a fountain that I made last year using a type of mortar cement. I haven't put in any of the mechanics yet as I wanted to see how it would fare during our cold winter. It made it just wonderful, no cracks at all.

You will never guess how I built this up. This requires a bit of patience. It is about 3' tall.

Part 1

1) The base is and over-turned food tray with a pie plate on top. Both have a hole drilled in the center for the hose.

2) Placed and inverted old Tupperware lettuce container on top of that with a hole drilled in the center. Secured to pie plate with tape.

3) I made a cone out of strong cardboard and placed on top of the pie plate and taped into place using masking tape. You could use any plastic cylinder or pipe depending on what you want or even a cardboard cement form for pouring footings.

3) Placed a plastic flower pot on top of cone with a hole drilled in the bottom.

4) Place a rubber ball (hollow) but DO NOT drill a hole yet.

DO NOT secure the ball as you will want to get rid of this later because it collapses as soon as you cut a hole in the top. If I were to do this again I would use a hard plastic like a Halloween pumkin so it could be left in place. (Oh well, we learn by trial and error)

You can build up anything like this as long as you leave a hole down the center for the hose. It's fun to experiment with the different shapes.

Part 2

Mix the mortar mix according to manufacturer's instructions.

I made enough to fill a large ice cream bucket each time. That gave me plenty of working time and not much waste if there was any. It was very smooth and nice to work with. Use latex gloves if this type of thing bothers you. Mix to a smooth consitency that does not drip. This particular brand had to sit for 15 minutes before using. I can't remember the name I'll have to find it.

Using your hands start smoothing the mixture over the entire fountain. Use the whole bucket and let dry over-night. Don't forget to leave a spot at the top of the ball for the hose to come out. Tape a piece of toilet paper role or something there. I did not do this and the opening is rough and jagged so I'll have to touch it up. :-(

Do this untill it is built up to about 1/2 to 3/4".

I did another coat in smaller batches and stuck on the half marble type glasses. I then did a final coat for grouting between the marbles. MAKE SURE YOU WIPE THE MARBLES CLEAN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, AS THIS STUFF DRIES TO INCREDIBLE STRENGTH AND YOU WILL HAVE TO CHIP IT OFF IF YOU DON'T. HAVE LOTS OF RAGS READY AND KEEP THEM WET.

This mortar was dark grey but you can paint it any colour. I just used acrylic paint and wiped the marbles off right away just as you would with tiles.

It took about a week from start to finish. You have good working time with the mortar, an hour or more and it dries very hard and strong. This thing fell off my work table and didn't even crack, considering the fact that it was hollow, that is amazing.

It weighs about 45-50 lbs.

The cement is expensive ($17.00+) approx but it is extra fortified so no need to buy that separate and I used about half the bag. I think I used about 12 bags of marbles @ a $1.00 per bag. All the rest of the stuff was old junk from around the house

My friend told me that it was the ugliest thing she had ever seen but somehow I have grown to like it. I think it will be nice with a vine entwining it.

{{gwi:700}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored