SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micadams_gw

Havn't been able to find an answer. Please Help.

micadams
15 years ago

Hi everyone. Been reading the forums for a few weeks as I am new to the whole Bonsai thing.

I know people have posted in the past about leaves turning brown and stuff but I haven't been able to find an answer to exactly what my question is so I'm posting one.

So here's the short story.

I bought a Chinese elm bonsai (mallsai) that was kept in a green house and when I bought it it didn't have very many leaves because it is winter where I am now. (Toronto, Ontario)

Only a few leaves have turned yellowish and fallen off (some stayed on but i removed them) but never were they dried out, so I'm not worried by that. I am worried about the new leaves coming in with a bit of a brown centre. They are only a few days old at most and I was wondering if the brown goes away. The existing leaves are very green like normal so I don't think the tree was unhealthy when I bought it. Is this new green leaf with brownish redish centre normal for Chinese Elms until the foliage is older?

(other notes)

I don't have a humidity tray as of yet.

my house is no where near as humid as the green house.

the window it is placed in front of gets morning sun.

I have watered with tap water twice by soaking from the top and letting the water drain out the bottom.

and I haven't re-potted it out of its typical peat moss soil.

thanks for reading if you have read this far. I am just trying to get as many of the future questions from the more experienced answered sooner.

Comments (13)

Sponsored