SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merivel

Any tips to make my fireplace a cozy stunner?

merivel
9 years ago
We are updating our blasé mid-60s home bit by bit; currently in our sights is our fireplace. When we moved in we painted the brick and the red sandstone ledge, now the insert has died and since we are replacing it with something more our style we'd like to improve the rest of the wall. We've ordered a new insert (pic below) and would like to have wide drawers installed (material TBD) under the ledge (material also TBD).

The room is interior with no windows/skylights and is a bit dark. It's open to the adjacent rooms which are the kitchen (also interior but with skylights) and the living room (lots of light). We are considering Carrera marble (honed/polished?) to lighten it up but don't want to look too stuffy. We don't know if we should tile up to the mantle (replaced with something cleaner, lighter, and more modern) or the ceiling and do a glass mantle which would let the light through. We do want to keep a mantle though as we use it for art, cards, stockings, etc.

Questions:
What tile/stone/material do you think would look nice?
Would you go up to the mantle (which will also be replaced) or the ceiling?
Any mantle ideas?
Would you do white drawers to keep uniform color? Match the floor? Match the kitchen?

Considerations:
We have to feed the cat on the ledge to keep the dog from eating her food, and she is a pig.

I'm not sure if it needs to be taken into consideration or not, but the floor is red oak and the kitchen has alder cabinets and blue pearl granite. Our style is very clean and contemporary.

Comments (72)

• Makimi Khawlhring
    9 years ago
    thanks for all the creative ideas :)
  • Sue
    9 years ago
    You have many intersting ideas here. May I ask your general location and the style of your home?
  • Related Discussions

how to make my family room open floor plan cozy and put together

Q

Comments (29)
    you may want to try sofa on the wall across from the window and love seat on window side. good job not crowding the window, by the way. if you move the sofa, keep the loveseat away from the window (you should be able to walk behind it) more on that later. having the sofas across from each other will open up the room and say "welcome, come on in" when you put a sofa across the room it says, caution keep out. your choice on how you want the room to feel. keep the sofa and loveseat the same distance from the fireplace sides, center them on fireplace not the room. if you want to keep the black footstool, try your red throw folded and draped over it and/or add a woven tray similar to your beautiful basket. (the tray will act as a place for snacks/remotes etc.) A lovely tall/and wide plant would be great behind/and to the side of the furniture on the window wall. (use a quality faux if you aren't a plant person or don't want to maintain it.)
    ...See More

Help me fix /decorate my my living room into Eclectic and yet cosy.

Q

Comments (34)
    Don't move the credenza then. Get an area rug, center one group of seating around fireplace and conversation and then maybe get a tea cart or something and put a small chair or two around that near the doors/windows to the outside. You can sit and sip your tea and watch the birdies outside there in the winter! When the weather gets nice you can carry the chairs out to the deck to sit in the sun! Then roll the cart out there with some cocktails later in the day!
    ...See More

Need ideas for making this living room warm and cozy!

Q

Comments (25)
    I think that you need more lamps in the room. Does anyone read or knit in this room? If so, a lamp and table between the chairs would be a handy place for a book and a drink. You definitely need something to anchor the couch, either a coffee table or perhaps the ottoman that you showed. I'm a book person, so I'd love to see bookcases behind the chairs, but that might not suit your life style.
    ...See More

Any tips on how to work this fireplace? The room is 16x25 feet

Q

Comments (3)
    Those are two different things. Creative art room vs cozy story telling room. IMPO even though this is a split, it's a basement. It will be used in a very utilitarian way. Crafts probably, cozy stories, not so much. Mine wouldn't even use it for TV unless it was movie night with the entire family. The fireplace's placement sort of takes it out of the picture...you could face a seating area towards it at the space of the chair in the pic..far away but still in view? My hope for you is it is a gas fireplace to be used as a fancy 'space heater' easy on, easy off. It will make a nice prop for Christmas pics!!
    ...See More
  • lattebugg
    9 years ago
    Lots of great suggestions.... but I have a question. I too am getting a new fireplace insert and love yours. What brand is it so I can find one. Thank you.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'm in the metro Denver area. Our style is crisp and modern but not cold. We have pale grey walls and white trim though most of the house. Big ticket household items are neutral in color (grey, black, warm wood, stainless) and rugs, accessories, artwork are where we get our color (jewel tones).

Ward Designs has the best grasp on where I mean to go, especially with his first picture which is in my lookbook. =) I agree about glass tile, we put a little in our master bath 7 years ago and it already feels dated; I regret it. I like stacked stone but agree it is likely to look dated in the near future as well. Also, with a cat that sheds like a monster, all that cat hair would stick and be a headache to keep clean.

Budget is a consideration but not an issue. Will I get Calacatta Marble at $200/sf? Heck no! But the brick is going, no question. Same with the beam; it wasn't properly measured in the first place and doesn't meet the wall on the right (former owners doing, not ours), and just isn't our style. Storage is a requirement - drawers are needed, not shelves.

*The first photo is not an inspiration shot. It's a promotional photo of the exact fireplace insert we have ordered.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lisacarv, it's just a snapshot, I literally took only this picture and made no attempt to stage it first. It's a warzone: broken insert has been in and out a dozen times for measuring which has damaged the brick paint, sample tiles laying about, dead lightbulbs and cat meds on the mantle. The walls and ceiling are freshly drywalled, painted due to massive flood damage last year. There are normally solid jewel-toned cushions on the left side of the hearth, and it's get used as a bench. I can't shop my house as we have minimal furniture. Our philosophy is to save our money and buy classic, quality furniture that will last so we've not made many purchases in our young lives. I know your comments were meant well, they just rubbed me wrong.
  • lattebugg
    9 years ago
    Hi merivel---- please tell me the brand of insert you're purchasing. I"m looking for the same look.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Terrimaejones, it's the Rockford by Kozy Heat. http://www.kozyheat.com/product/rockford

There's lots of different options, it puts out great heat, and is pretty efficient to boot. Good luck!
  • Aisha Hammond
    9 years ago
    patterned wall paper in a light hue or stone tile on the entire wall. there are sooo many color tiles to choose from
  • Rhodalynn
    9 years ago
    Modern fireplaces are hard to look cozy. I like the way it looks now.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the compliment Merivel. Have you made any decisions yet or are you leaning towards any type of style? (By the way I'm a she). Denise Ward of Ward Designs.

About the drawers - After selecting what you surround your fireplace with, have simple mdf drawers built and paint them either in your existing wall color or the color of your surround so they don't stand out - you want the fireplace to be the focal point so the drawers s/b as inconspicuous as possible - I wouldn't even put handles on them, they can be pulled open from the bottom.
    I've attached a few pics - most are not modern, but I'm sure you get the idea. The last pic doesn't have drawers, just open storage, but drawers could be added. I also like what they've done to the left of the fireplace - a nice cozy nook to relax or read - great use of space.
    merivel thanked Ward Designs
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Denise, Thank you for your assistance. =)

The current idea is to explore pulling the immediate fireplace area forward a bit, not the full 18" of the hearth, and covering it floor to ceiling with Neolith in Estatuario (it's a porcelain slab that looks like marble - lightweight, more durable and environmentally friendly... I'm waiting for a call back about the cost). We'd then drywall either side of the fireplace and have wide and completely flush, flat-front drawers with no hardware, just a pull from below as you said. (pic below, I don't know my drawer terminology)

Neolith: http://thesize.es/web/index.php?pg=2&spg=1&coleccion=06&producto=0037

Still pondering:

Hearth: matching Neolith or something more like the attached picture (grey stone / concrete)

Mantle: matching Neolith or clear glass (which would let the light through, currently the mantle shadows much of the lower fireplace. All the way across (wider on the sides and narrower across the fireplace to keep a straight front line), just the sides, or just the center?

I appreciate the feedback from everyone! My architect (my father) has been traveling a LOT lately and I haven't been able to bounce ideas of of him. I guess you get what you pay for, eh? ;)
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's pics of the Neolith so you guys don't have to follow the link if you'd rather not. There's lots of interesting colors/textures in the collection though!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I like your direction. However, I think the Estatuario might be busier than you think. Are you sure you don't want to go with one of the solid choices? If you do choose the Estatuario, I would go with a less-busy one.

I wouldn't add mantle at all. I like the clean look that Ward Designs posted.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Hi Merivel the Estatuario looks great. I went to the link and saw Estatuario 01 04 and 05 - what is the difference? Do you know?
    In any case, I would select the least busy one, do the drawers in the grey as shown in your 1st pic. (as long as it's a perfect match to the grey veining in the Estatuario).

I really like the idea of a glass mantel, however, unless you get star glass or crystal glass you will get a green hue from regular glass. Can you deal with the green hue? If not, then you'll have to go with the star glass which is perfectly clear - it is also very expensive. Have you thought of using a thick acrylic slab for the mantel? It could look pretty good - but scratches easily, so you'll have to be a bit careful. I'm really not sure what you mean about "wider on the sides and narrower across the fireplace just the sides, or just the center????). Please explain. Thx.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No clue what the difference is between the different Estatuario types is. It seems to be a distinction made on the manufacturers website only; the local vendors call it all Estatuario. I'm thinking perhaps it was to show how slabs can differ from one another...? Not sure. And yes, not looking for a very busy piece. I just like how the grey veining ties in our pale grey walls and gives a little bit of movement/interest.

Thanks for the tips on avoiding green glass. I'll have to look into the specifics of cost and durability - for a relatively small, though long, piece of glass maybe the cost for star glass won't be too awful? I'll learn to live with green glass (or acrylic), and love it, if not!

I've been staying up WAY too late at night and am no doubt not so coherent posting at 3am but what I meant to say re: the mantle was that I'm unsure which of 3 options might look and work best:

1) Just a center mantle where the Neolith will be.

2) Just on the sides where the (new) drywall will be.

3) All the way across maintaining a flat line along the front and following the wall along the back. ie. not stair stepping around the bumped out center fireplace. So if we pull the fireplace out 5", and the mantle is 12" deep on the sides where the drywall is, the mantle will just narrow to 7" across the fireplace. (Numbers pulled out of nowhere to illustrate.) I suspect this is not the way to go, but considering all options at this point.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh, and for the hearth...

Thinking of continuing to use Neolith but using the color Humo (medium grey) in a more matte finish than the Estatuario. I really need to see these in person to see if this will work out the way I see it in my head, but was thinking of polished Estatuario (fireplace) and silk Humo (hearth).

Humo: http://thesize.es/web/index.php?pg=2&spg=1&coleccion=01&producto=0004

"SATIN: this finish is characterized by a natural matt look and a regular texture conferring high resistance properties to the material.

SILK: this finish is similar to Satin finish but its texture is softer to the touch. The smoothness is achieved through the Neolith Airless Pistol (NAP) technology granting the surface with a silky finish.

RIVERWASHED: provides greater relief, depth and surface roughness. It can be compared to a brush hammered or aged finish and adds a touch of realism to models inspired by natural stones.

POLISHED: this finish adds shine, depth, a reflection that stands out for its complete flatness and a touch of elegance."
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    I agree with you - Humo silk or satin on the hearth - let the polished Esta surround be the jewel. I'm not sure how wide the Estatuario surround will be, but as far as the mantel goes, I would do a glass slab across the front stopping 6" before the edge (ie: outside corner). So let's say the Esta surround (front view) is 6 feet wide (72") - your glass would be 66" wide leaving 6" on each side, I wish I could draw it to scale to show you but I don't have the tools to do it. Does this make sense to you - do you understand what I'm trying to describe?

Were you thinking of wrapping the glass mantel around the front and sides of the surround? I'm still not sure, but if that was what you were thinking of doing, it would take away from the clean simplicity of the look shown in the first pic I posted with the Carerra marble.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I agree with Ward. I would forget the mantle It is going to take away front he simplicity. I also don't see glass working well with the marble.

Also, keep in mind, IMO, you want to draw away from the horizontal look of the current situation.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yep, makes sense, Denise. :)

I've come round to the same thing, CDR, my hubby is rather married to the idea, primarily because we put up quite nice Christmas decorations on the mantle and it's the only place we have for stockings. I've been looking for some nice alternative ways/places to hang stockings so I can sway him, but haven't found much. We don't have stairs, ledges or bookcases, an upright piano. Our windows are vertical so hanging on the window locks isn't an option. The only thing that seems remotely promising are command hooks but they are large, unattractive and can't hold more than about 7lbs. We've had some hefty stockings in years past but I think I can get around the large/unattractive problems with a swag of greenery.

Maybe a DIY kiva ladder made of aspen or birch with the bark still on to hang stockings on to the side of the FP? :S

You guys haven't seen anything that might work, have you? Gotta bring the stubborn hubby around!
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Well, they do sell really adorable iron racks to hang up stockings to place on the hearth. Here are a few pics. When I moved houses my fireplace didn't have a mantel so I bought a large decorative sled (at Winners - Micheals carries them too) and stuffed the stockings in the sled - it looked great!
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Oops for got to attach example of sled - this is one of many styles
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Denise, I had come across those too. I'm not too fond of them myself and I'm worried the dog would get in them. Unfortunately I think it would be a step in the wrong direction in the hubby persuasion department.

I kept thinking on this a bit after my last post... if we hung artwork on either side of the FP, there'd already be nails/hangers to use. Maybe could remove the art for the season and replace with something(?) that could hold 2 stockings on each side. Just a small germ of an idea at present.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maybe something like this...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of hanging fauxidermy on the fp and then the stockings from that.

I think removing the pictures at Christmas and hanging stockings from them is also a good idea. Actually, you can hang stockings from any picture hangers in the room....under a counter....anywhere.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The antlers/picture hook idea is all one and the same. Remove picture, put up antlers, hang stockings. I don't say that to be an annoying hair splitter, but to discover if you have methods to share on how to hang stockings from a single solid slab; I'd love it if you do! The only thing I have come up with are the Command Hooks that use heavy duty stickum.

No other walls, countertops, bookcases, ledges... Anything to work with within 30ft or more of the fireplace I'm afraid. Just the fireplace wall really. It's inconvenient, I know. :(
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Oh, I see. Would you consider, though, having the antlers up all year long as the only item on the fireplace......So, no mantle, just the antlers.

You cold also rest stocking hangers on the bookcase shelves.

Or hang at rope or pole from one bookcase to the other and stockings on the rope/pole
    [houzz=
    My Christmas House {2011} · More Info
    [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-christmas-eclectic-living-room-houston-phvw-vp~2072099]
    merivel thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No, the antlers aren't really our thing, just thought they'd be a cute stocking solution at Christmas - reindeer featuring heavily in the lore and all. ;)

Also, we don't have any bookcases. Either side of the FP is a flat wall, presumably with art) which is where the antlers might be able to be swapped in.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Lets say you use the ugly command strip hooks and place them so it looks like they are hanging (like the white socks in pic above) then hide (cover) the hooks with a decorative piece of garland and hang your Christmas socks on the hooks. It would look like the socks are hanging from the garland. You could do this on the wall next to the fireplace or on the fireplace itself. Tada!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I agree. I don't think you have to buy the antlers. 4 stockings could be hung from 4 picture hooks (2 hooks on each picture)
    merivel thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    I just found this pic of wreaths hanging from large ribbons (so creative). Perhaps you could do something similar to hang your Christmas socks on wall beside fireplace or on face of fireplace.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yeah, that was my first (and probably only practical) idea, Denise. You explained it much better though. :) I went to an amazing local hardware store today and checked out the available non-permanent hook options. I was told that the command hooks likely hold up to twice the weight advertised, which supports my previous experiences with them. I think this could be a viable solution!

Approximates a Christmastime look similar to a mantle - Check!
    Keeps the stockings away from the dog - Check!
    Can handle potentially heavy stockings - (a tad more tentative) Check!
    Maintains a clean, modern and vertical look the rest of the year - Check!

Now I just have to wait for hubby to get home from his business trip and sell the heck out of this idea! Thanks, gals... or guy and gal, whichever the case may be. ;)
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Still waiting to hear back from the fabricator on costs, but I did finally get my dad (an architect) to draw up the design. He put tile on the sides and hubby added in the glass shelves, we'll see about both of those elements, but the overall design is the same. I'll keep you posted on how things play out and what this Neolith stuff costs.

(Drawer details aren't quite right either, but the gist is there.)
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Yes - nice and simple - are you contemplating putting 12"x 12" tile on either side and the large piece of "Carrerra" in the vertical space where the fireplace is?

For the drawers you should put tap to open latches on them so you don't have to bend down to open and close all the time. That way you can just tap it with your foot and take a quick look into the drawers to find what you're looking for without bending down each time.
  • merivel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well.... turns out the Neolith isn't cheap. Here's the breakdown from the fabricator:

For Neolith: It will be around $7500

For Mid Range Granite: $6200 - $6500

For Stock Granite: $5500

So, odds are good we'll go with granite. I'll have to make a trip to the stoneyard after Christmas and see what speaks to me.

Denise, the 12x12 tile is my dad's idea. I'm not totally sold, I positively hate grout and grout lines. I know we can have them mounted very tightly to minimise the grout, but... meh. The way my dad sees it is to do a darker fireplace surround and lighter tile. Being a visual person I need to go look and play with the materials themselves but my gut feeling is that the fireplace surround would be overpowering that way - too dark and heavy. What are your thoughts?

Good idea on the tap to open latches - thanks!

Edit: I just clarified with the fabricator, the above quote is for both the surround and hearth inclusive of all materials and labor. I originally believed this to be for the surround only, materials and labor. So, if we skip on the tile and just do the Neolith - the cost is probably equivalent.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Merivel - go back to the first pics I posted (Nov. 2nd). There are three looks - a white carerra, a very dark grey stone and a medium toned one. Notice the dark one is in a very large room with lots of windows, the medium brown is also in a room with a lot of natural light. Consider the amount of light in your room when making a decision. Personally, I like the white - it makes a very sophisticated statement.
    Regarding the walls on either side of the fireplace - I agree with you about the tiled look MEH! Tiles would also take the wow away from your solid stone "monolith". My suggestion would be to drywall over the brick and paint it the same color as the rest of the room. This way the fireplace will, after all, be the focal point in the room.
  • Jayda
    8 years ago
    Stone, use a colour compatible with your flooring neutral tones are usually the best
  • Jayda
    8 years ago
    Along with my earlier comment. I would use a soft medium sized mosaic tile with soft hues of frosted blue green, but because I can't see ur flooring I can't say for sure
  • merivel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm finally getting this project done. Here's a halfway photo. Still waiting on the insert, glass shelf and cabinetry installations, then we'll redo the lighting. Looks stark now but once we get some furniture and artwork up I think it'll be an elegant but cozy spot.

• merivel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now with insert, and drawers...

Nearly there!

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    8 years ago

Oh Merivel! It looks fantastic - what a great job , well done. Which stone did you use on the vertical solid? How thick is it? Very, very well executed. How are the drawers working out? It can double-time as extra seating too - just a couple of cosy cushions - done. Love it !!!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

It's beautiful!

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    8 years ago

Hey, check out this cozy design...

Equine Manor · More Info

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    8 years ago

Hi, these are some of our designs that might give you new ideas.

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Hamptons Hideaway · More Info

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

See our fireplace designs.

Morrison Heights Gathering Room · More Info

Barclay Crescent · More Info

• merivel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you, Denise and CDR! We got the slab from the only stoneyard I forgot to take notes at, but if I recall its Bianco Gioia Marble. It's 3cm, it was almost impossible to find 2cm, but there are hefty metal supports under the hearth and everyone agreed it would be fine.

The drawers are great! The cabinet guy took a tile and got a custom lacquer to match at 20% gloss, so it really blends in perfectly. We did not end up doing the tap to open latches, they pull from below, but we did soft close to keep them all nicely closed and quiet.

Still need to fix up the paint, change up the lighting and move back into the space, but really pleased at how it has turned out. Thanks to you all for the thoughts and tips along the way!
  • PRO
    christine02360
    8 years ago
    Where did you buy the fireplace insert with the rocks????
  • merivel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Christine-

It's made by KozyHeat but I believe this exact model (Rockford) is discontinued. The store I bought it from - IHT - is just local to the Denver metro area.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Christine,

Here is one website where you can purchase the fireballs. I know many of them are made of ceramic. I would check with this company and/or the the fireplace insert manufacturer to see how which fireballs will work with which fireplace inserts.

http://www.blazingglass.com/cat/fire-balls/

• Judy Hawkins
    7 years ago

photo of fireball manufactured by rasmussen after 23 uses. disintegrated within warranty period. rasmussen would not honor warranty, but did offer to let me purchase ONE new fireball for $135.00

• Judy Hawkins
    7 years ago

here's an update to my review and photo of the fireball:

I contacted Rich at rasmussen and at his request, sent pics, and a copy of my invoice which was well within the warranty period. My gas burner is facing downward, which is the correct and recommended position. I bring my fireballs indoors during the cold weather and cover them with a tarp during cooler weather.

I received an email from Rich stating the warranty period for fireballs which are used in outdoor fireplaces and firepits have only a 6 month warranty, so my fireballs were no longer covered.

I have searched the internet for this warranty info, and requested it from Rich. I can't find any info on the internet re: a 6 month warranty for outdoor use, and Rich from Rasmussen has not provided a copy of the warranty with this specific info.

Additionally, Rhett the owner/president of Rasmussen contacted me in mid September. He told me he is very angry that I posted these pics and comments about his product and demanded I remove them from this website. I had to ask Rhett to stop yelling at me, and talk to me in a civil and mannerly tone. Rhett told me that until I removed the photos and these comments, he would not work with me to replace my fireball. This was in mid September 2016. I am not removing the comments and photos as I feel potential customers need to be made aware. I can say unequivocally--Rhett is a man of his word. I have not heard from him since my refusal to remove the picture and my honest review/comments of this product.

Rasmussen not only manufactures fireballs, but other products as well, including gas logs.