SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjd232

Powder Room Update: Need Advice

mjd232
9 years ago
We are changing the floor to multi-color slate and are also thinking about doing the whole wall behind the pedestal sink and toilet in a glass and slate mosaic. The room is 7.5' long and 5' wide and the wall behind the sink/toilet is 8' high as there is a bulkhead. Will this look okay? Also the pedestal sink is only 24" wide so any creative suggestions for where to put the hand soap and towels would be appreciated, e.g. niche, shelf, etc.??? Thank you for your help.

Comments (59)

• User
    9 years ago
    I like the floor tile. And I like the idea of the band illustrated in the pics that LB Interiors posted. I would consider doing that with the tile you picked out for around the room. From there you could pick one of the lighter shades of the wall tiles, eg the lighter gray, if that's the the case, for the rest of the wall and ceiling paint color.
  • hambirg
    9 years ago
    I agree. I think that slate will work. It's not near as dark as I envisioned.
  • Related Discussions

Powder Room Fixture/Hardware Design Advice Needed

Q

Comments (1)
    A lot of people mix their finishes, it just depends on if you like the way it looks.
    ...See More

Updating a dated powder room---need advise

Q

Comments (3)
    I love your leopard print idea; I think you should fly with it. At the end of the day, it's a bunch of neutral colors (that tie in nicely with the yellow you're stuck with), so use it as your starting point. If it were me, I'd paint the vanity a very dark espresso brown (I think going cream or ivory might be too much contrast). I'd go a bit lighter but still dramatic -- say a milk chocolate -- on the walls. Then I'd pick a flooring out of that same palette; not knowing your budget, I don't know what material would work, but anything from hardwood to cork tiles, to ceramic or porcelain tile, to vinyl would be fine, as long as the color ties together with the others. For accessories, pick some jungle-inspired greens, like palm tree prints and embroidered hand towels. Also, an amber glass soap dish or dispenser, and/or amber glass shades on the lights, would look great. Makes me want attach my powder room now...
    ...See More

HELP!! Powder room / mudroom dilemma - need quick advice!

Q

Comments (10)
    Just some thoughts: Powder rooms can be made "L" shaped so the toilet is not what you see when the door opens. You see the side of a small wall sink in the corner you turn before seeing the toilet. A laundry room in the front isn't necessarily a bad thing. You might consider more of a laundry closet than a laundry room. You might be able to create a "mudroom" that is a hallway between house and garage with the washer and dryer facing each other at one end of that mudroom. You might be able to create a "mudroom" that is actually a hallway with a closet on one side hiding the washer and dryer and the powder room on the other set out so as the door opens between toilet and sink, the open door hides the toilet until it the door is closed.
    ...See More

I need some advice in selecting a tile for my tiny powder room.

Q

Comments (2)
    It is no longer available. We had and then had to rip it up after toilet leak under the flooring. Flooring was rotted
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    9 years ago
    I usually don't read the other suggestions first, I like to hear your thoughts then give my design advice. So, it seems like I will be disagreeing with others....I love the look you are going for. I think it will look great in your room. The colors of the slate are rich, and love the idea of the glass/slate mosaic tiles on the entire back wall. Yes it's darker but powder rooms are a great space for some drama and "wow" factor. You can add a fun etagere that will allow for some storage space and enhance the room. Best of luck!
  • annemamaya
    9 years ago
    I like the new tiles too. I'm not too fond of the two color painting job, but that's me. I would pick a softer, lighter color and paint the whole wall one color. I would then add some art work and you can do some little shelves.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Interesting discussion and interesting changes under consideration. I actually like it best just as it is with the light floor. allowing the paint job to be the star of the room.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    The walls as they are now with the new slate will give the room a depth and richness. It can be quite elegant.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello to all and thank you for your comments! The discussion points are very helpful and it seems a vision is starting to come. Our decorating theme could best be described as casual elegance so being able to achieve this in the powder room would be in keeping with the rest of the house. My thought at the moment is to start with the slate floor and then to reevaluate the next step. In the meantime I am going to look for at least a 30" vanity as the 24" pedestal sink just seems too small and does not have any place to put hand soap, towels or paper goods. I will post some pictures of any options I find. The glass/stone mosaic on the back wall is still being considered but it would probably mean changing the paint job.
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't change a thing too if I were you. I agree with LB interiors that you'll end up with a really dark bathroom if you do go ahead with the changes. Might turn out a bit busy too because of the tile choice. I like the floor choice but would not change the walls.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello again! Here are pictures of two possibilities for vanities....one with black granite and an under mount sink and the other with a white top with contoured sink. Both would provide a space for hand soap on top and storage underneath. Pros and cons? Keep looking? Thanks.
  • PRO
    Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
    9 years ago
    Go to Bath Outlet.com. They have really pretty soap dispensers that mount on the wall and will work for the small vanity.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great website...thanks for sharing!
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Update! We have made a decision to go with the slate on the floor. Looking ahead could the glass/slate mosaic be used on the wall just behind the pedestal sink...kind of like a backsplash? If yes, would you do a strip right up the wall from the baseboard to the bulkhead? Should it only go part way? How wide should the strip be? I have attached some photos but it is hard to get good ones because of the small area. Will look forward to your suggestions. Thanks.
  • Rachel
    9 years ago
    Can't go wrong with slate on the floors, it's my favorite. I think the mosaic tile is really pretty, but perhaps overkill for a powder room sink. If it was a master I would for sure say add the backsplash (I have this exact sink in my master bath and will be adding a backsplash to it at some point). If this were my powder room, I would spend my efforts on some sconce light fixtures, a new faucet and some shelves/accessories.
  • c_designs
    9 years ago
    Wow, i don't want to see why you would want to change a thing in the room. I honestly think it looks really good right now! (:
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I'm also of the leave everything as is opinion. I'm nervous the currently great bathroom is going to get messed up by being "overdone".
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think the mosaic tile would make a great backsplash. I like the interest and light and dark colors in the mosaic.

I don't think I would do it behind the sink only. If you did that, it would have to be a vertical narrow band at least the width of the mirror. I don't think I would cut up the width of the entire wall.

And, I would not do the entire sink wall.

I would like a horizontal band of mosaic all around the entire room. Backsplash to end just below the mirror frame. I think you could adjust the light paint color to the bottom mirror edge.

I'm not too fond of the horizontal dividing point of the light color and brown paints at an odd place within the mirror frame.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi LB! I am not too sure what you mean by your last comment. The image you see in the mirror is from the piece on the opposite wall as shown in the attached photo. Is this not good? Should it be landscape orientation rather than portrait? I am open to all suggestions for this update.
  • PRO
    Parrish Construction
    9 years ago
    I would leave the room the way it is and get a 32-36"high narrow cabinet for the space between the sink & toilet for soaps & towels. If you don't like the horizontal band of color, you can repaint the walls or cover with an awesome wall covering that is in keeping with your 'casual elegance' style. I personally don't like slate on bath floors because if feels too dark for me, and it's harder to clean, but if you do go that way, it must be sealed. Some slate can track color onto lighter carpeted areas, unless it's sealed. I agree that for drama you can concentrate on lighting--much less brain damage and money than tearing out your floors.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hi mjd, I like the placement of the art on the opposite wall. I think I would raise the 'bench lovers' to have equal space of the horizontal stripe that cuts through the Art.

I was mentioning the sink mirror and the placement of the two paint colors. A backsplash will affect the horizontal lines of the paints.

I will try to add drawing of the placement of the backsplash.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I hope this explains it
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LB....it does! Thanks.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback....I am trying to take this one step at a time and your comments are all making a difference....everything from leave things as is to the suggested changes such as a narrow cabinet. Will keep you posted.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We are under construction as there was a delay in another job for the tiler so he could work on ours. The old tile floor has been removed and the slate will be installed today. In the meantime I am still having a "dilemma" as to what to do as far as a backsplash. Would something quite minimal work such as a 3x3 area just behind the pedestal as shown with the outside piece of tape? If yes, would it be better to do it in the same slate as the floor or the glass/slate mosaic? Thanks for your suggestions.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I think this small area might be a waste of time and money. Even with a pedestal sink, I don't think it will be a strong enough statement for the cost and effort It is not visible enough. MO
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    If it works out financially to do this, and not spend more for a different application, it would look fine and adds a nice touch for a backsplash below the mirror.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LB....I just taped one of your earlier suggestions from floor to ceiling but think if we went this way it should be the glass/slate mosaic. Width would be 36". Definitely more expensive (but not as much as buying a vanity) and could be worth the investment. Do you agree that this is still an option? Thanks.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I was thinking you were talking the mosaic for the other application also. Not fond of slate for backsplash.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I would start the mosaic at the left corner of walls and extend to right side of mirror equidistant on each mirror side.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just measured this out and the mosaic would then cover half the wall. Would this look funny?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I personally think a half wall would look unfinished and may feel like you did not have the funds to do the entire wall. Option is to apply to the entire wall. To cut costs, I would still do a horizontal application around the entire room or the entire wall.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LB: The slate floors are installed and looking very rich...must have been a very colourful vein! The toilet and pedestal sink are being reinstalled tomorrow and at that point I will send a photo. I have been trying to source a 30" wide Memoirs pedestal sink which would fit on the existing pedestal and provide a place for the soap but the cost is more than $700 just for the basin and then I would like a black faucet and taps which is another $500 so am not sure where the priorities are going to be. The bench sitters art is just a print so I am looking for inspiration for something that has more wow factor that I could do in acrylics.....like big funky flowers or something. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    You're welcome! Sorry, I have been away. Abstract or fine art? What is your taste?
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Attached is a photo showing the new slate floor which is making a statement on its own so I am reconsidering what to do on the wall behind the sink. Do you think that the taped area in the second photo would look okay as a backsplash if done in a small glass mosaic which could accommodate the curves on the sides of the pedestal sink and would also cover the bruises which occurred when the sink was removed for the floor tiling? Photo 3 is the glass mosaic which seems to go with what is happening so far. Running a tile strip around the room has not been enthusiastically received. As far as art, traditional is not my thing so more transitional to contemporary. Also we live on a golf course so a tendency towards more natural images. We like the bench sitters as far as color but the image is a bit urban for the setting. Will look forward to your feedback.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I like the small backsplash you're considering (about the size LB just pictured). The floor is nice, but does have a lot of tan in it. Maybe art that would pull some of the tan up onto the wall? Maybe with a black frame and white mat?
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi! A few more questions. Need to confirm the measurements of the smaller backsplash. Mirror is 29" wide, sink is 24" wide and taped area (see photo) for mosaic backsplash is 32" W by 9" D. Do these measurements work? Also what color of grout on the backsplash....white to go with the sink or light smoke to go with the floor? Am also continuing to look for art that pulls in a bit of beige as suggested. Speaking of art the current piece is 25x33" and is portrait orientation. Is this a good size or should it be a bit bigger? Thanks.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I think the current art looks to be a pretty good size.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I think the backsplash size looks good. I would use the same floor grout color if that tone of the grout works well with the backsplash colors too. Meaning the grout color can be a little bit darker or lighter of the floor grout color that is also in the backsplash tile.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Artwork inspiration.
    Angel Fish Wall Decor, Set of 3 · More Info

Iveta Abolina Before The Storm Framed Wall Art · More Info

Yosemite YC100445A Unlocking Mystery I Wall Art · More Info

Elements of Magic Framed Print by Marlene Healey · More Info

Gregory Lang 'Urban Abstract No. 165' Framed Art Print · More Info
    mjd232 thanked LB Interiors
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Not crazy about the backsplash idea ,it looks like you are framing the sink top ..sorry hope someone else can help yo figure it out ,I love your before as well
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi! I did some painting this weekend and as it turns out I think the canvas looks quite good on the wall you see when leaving the powder room. The image and the colors were a bit too strong for the powder room itself so I will have to tone things down a bit on the next one. This is probably a dumb question but should I paint the switch plates to blend in with the wall? Thanks.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I LOVE your art! It pulls the colors of your floor and walls together beautifully! I put black covers on my outlets on a charcoal wall in my house. I bought them rather than painting them, but if they'll take paint, that would work.
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi! I worked on a canvas for the powder room itself and here's where I'm at so far....need to have it hanging for a few days to see if it's needs more....or if anyone has some suggestions please send them along as everything can still be changed. I am just using my ipad as a camera so the colors in real life are better. I am holding off on the backsplash until everything else is in place. Thanks for all of the help along the way....it's much appreciated.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Wow, you're a really great artist! Please post pics when the art is up and the room is done.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Nice work! That looks great!
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally finished!
  • mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Second photo.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago

Very Nice. Love the painting too. Good job!

• mjd232
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LB: Thanks for your help in getting me pointed in the right direction. The powder room feels good and solid (not sure if that's the right word) now with the slate floor and new vanity.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago

You're Welcome mjd232!!