SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_277412508

Louisiana slab code & permitting questions.

Kim Tran
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Looking for info/help from contractors, structural engineers, and/or folks that builds for a living or built their own home garages. I’m trying to plan my steps to get a permit for a garage workshop built in my backyard. I’m looking to get a 30’x35’ metal building on top of a 40’x40’ slab @ 6” deep. Im not sure on footings or if pilings are required. Building in Jefferson parish, marrero(zip code 70072)near Ames and Lapalco to be exact, my property is x-flood zone @ 1.2ft above base flood elevation.

My question/confusion, is it true that the top of slab built for garage has to be higher than the highest peak of the street the property is located? Also what are requirements for footings or pilings(I want to avoid pilings)? I’ve been reading the ibc but it’s very convoluted with info and confusing so I’m looking for strait up answers...especially from ppl with actual experience dealing with parish/city permit and planning departments. I called Both east and westbank parish buildings twice and they told me to read the ibc 2017 edition.

Any other specific codes that can delay things, Lmk. Also, I am a cad designer so I can draw up my own plans, then get it to a structural engineer for approval and stamps. If this post is not correct for this forum, lmk and I’ll delete. Pfa, Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)