SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Ideas for sun protection/shade on small balcony?

Lynn Nevins
4 years ago

Hi everyone.

I have a small balcony which I'd love to be able to sit on during the day, but... I typically can't do so as there is no shade.

I looked into getting a 'clip on' sun umbrella...something that can clip onto the balcony rail, and that has an arm that can be adjusted/tilted as needed...and then 'locked' into place...but either they are unattractive...reviews indicate that the clip mechanism fails rather quickly...etc.

So then I was thinking about a sun 'sail'... one of those square, or ideally triangular shaped pieces of UV-blocking fabric, but.... most of them are too large for my balcony. Then there's also the issue of how to attach it. (My building landlord probably wouldn't allow for me to have someone insert permanent 'anchors' into the side of the building.

So... I'm trying to think of a creative way I could maybe purchase a custom-sized sun sail, and then affix the three corners utilizing 1) a light fixture that is already on the wall of my balcony and 2/3) trellises that I have on my balcony. I'm thinking I could have ties made of fishing line permanently tied up on these three posts if you will, and then whenever I want to put the sail up, I have three hooks at the ready, which connect the grommets/holes in the three corners of the sail, to the three knots of fishing line that I'd have on my light fixture, and in two spots of my balcony trellises.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored