SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bahram03

Do you cut off the first flowers of vegetable plants?

Ariel (Zone: 7b)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I asked https://ask.extension.org/ if there is anything to the idea of cutting off the flowers to focus the energy on root and plant growth instead of producing fruit. Their response was that there is no research to indicate that helps and I should leave the flowers on.

Does anyone have personal experience or research on this subject?

___

Hi I have read that cutting off the first flowers a vegetable plant will help it in the long run. By cutting them off the plant will use its energy for root development and plant growth instead of fruit development. Is there any truth to this and is it worth doing? Thank you

Queens County New York vegetable gardening

3 Responses

Thank you for your question. The only plants that applies to are newly planted fruit trees. Since most vegetables are annuals, they never develop extensive root systems. Just be sure to keep new plants watered adequately and with proper fertilization, and enjoy all of their fruits. Good luck!

Kristena A. LaMar

Replied June 4, 2019, 10:35 AM EDT

Thank you.

I have been cutting off any flowers during the first few weeks after transplanting.

Anonymous Guest

Replied June 4, 2019, 11:39 AM EDT

There is no research indicating that helps the plant to thrive and produce fruit.

Kristena A. LaMar

Replied June 4, 2019, 12:27 PM EDT

Comments (15)