SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charleee

OLLD 1/3

charleee
11 years ago
Morning ollds!!! Did you realize today's date is 1313??? Aren't you glad it's not Friday?

Comments (105)

• mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    here it tis! Falling Snow by Behr
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    MP, My son has a BFA from Plymouth University in New Hampshire. His business is primarily website design, but he still gets a chance now and then to work on print art.
  • Related Discussions

Tradeoffs; 5:1:1 vs. 3:2:1

Q

Comments (11)
    Ditto Al, Josh & the other experienced folks above who have helped me with my 19 gal SWC mixes last year that produced abundant tomatoes yet somewhat meely in texture, possibly due to the necessarily high % of peat required to wick water up from the reservoir up thru a 19 gal SWC (Pro Mix). You're probably all set to go with self watering rather than top watering for your 19 gal containers, but I am thinking of converting my large SWCs to top watering this season, so that I can go with a grittier mix and achieve better tasting results. So bottom line is I am not convinced self watering is way to go for large containers, water budget is about the same (evaporation from above ground heat is the same either way you water) and ease of delivering water & nutrients is also a wash (no pun intended). Some have said you avoid meely tomatoes by watering less, but to achieve wicking one must fill the reservoir and it is dry the next day at temps in zone 9-10, so I believe meely taste is related to the mix which is necessitated by SWC. I guess I am posing a question more than adding to your answer.
    ...See More

Question for JaG: tomatos NPK ratio: 4-1-5 instead of 3-1-3?

Q

Comments (2)
    Could just be rounding. A ratio of 4:1:5 is equal to a ratio of 2.7:0.7:3.4, which would round to 3:1:3. TomNJ
    ...See More

Knob size: 3/4', 1' or 1 1/4'?? Pics, please!

Q

Comments (3)
    3/4" knobs feel like you are in a powder room -- which might be OK. I'd kill my cabinet guy if he located them where they are in your pic though - just NOT good! I just ordered all of the stuff (or almost all of it!) for white shaker cabinets with flush drawer fronts on top and five-piece doors/drawers below and settled on 1" for upper cabinet knobs and 1.25" knobs for all lower cabinet doors -- the scale (hopefully) works for the cabinets, and it seems modern and vintage at the same time, and would especially be so in chrome, depending on your other (pulls, etc) choices. Sorry but no pics yet! This forum has millions though, as does FKB...
    ...See More

HAVE: 3 tomatoes,1 kolhrabi 1 Thai Basil 1 Arugula + cantalou

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, I'd be very interested in the Copia and Amur Tiger Tomatoes you're offering. Actually, I be very interested in trading for any of the amazing seeds you've got listed on your trade page. I'll send you and email with my list so you can see if there is anything I have that you'd like to trade for. Thanks.
    ...See More
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Bobbi, I was a bit worried having white accents in my bedroom knowing how many shades of white there can be, but then I read on Houzz (of course) that you can mix whites in a room ok. Don't know if I could wake up in a grey room and not feel "grey" the rest of the day. I looked at SW colour chart which really is impossible on the computer as the really pale 'greys' I saw turned out to be Super White and Spare White. I have actual colour charts here for our paints, one just deals with whites and there are 12 different shades - and that would just be the start of it. We do have a White on White that is a true fair dinkum white and as it looks on computer it could be the same as your Super White. We also have a colour called China White - again it looks nothing like the chip online - it is like a beigy/grey. It doesn't come across as either colour but it would definitely look great with black and your red ochre. Actually I really love beiges with black, I think it is classy and dramatic.

Your really need to go to Church and check out all the samples. I know it would be good to use up the paint you have, but it is false economy if you aren't happy with it.

Of course you could be really creative and use this wallpaper they used in a nursery, looks perfect.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/zebra-print-ceiling-for-a-nursery-dsvw-vd~249014
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    feeny, I thought YOU were the Revere Pewter junky!!! OMG, that's funny, I've got all the walls in your house pictured in RP. And I think you're right with the French Gray. Isn't that a pretty color?

j22, yes, that's too gray. Actually I think my crisis is averted. The white-yellow is drying white. I thought it was weird that it would look yellow when all the trim, and the hallway, are painted this color and nothing looks yellow.

MP, that Falling Snow is pretty. I just love Behr paint, they're practically as thick as mud and they go on so easily!

roo! Church! You remembered, how funny. No zebra print for me, thanks. It would just clash with my leopard and cheetah. hehehe

I refuse to do green. R tells me his parents house is green from top to bottom and they all call it the jungle. Do you know, they paint every room every year? Insane!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    That will be good if it dries right. Isn't it nice when something goes RIGHT!!!!

My mind has a funny way of remembering small details (small mind????) never the important things.

You know, I could quite go that jungle look with lots of plants, but paint EVERY year???? What else is there to do in Mexico - we only ever hear of growing drugs and killing each other. Sounds a damned scary place.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    roo, you're funny! And yes it is nice when SOMETHING goes right!

Mexico is a scary place. R has had 2 cousins killed and his sister was robbed at gunpoint while sitting in traffic. A very popular thing among the rich Mexican folk is to have kidnap insurance!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Didn't mean to be flippant about that, some of the shootings amount to mass murder. Kidnap insurance!!! What on earth would the premiums be like.

LA dd's inlaws gave them a honeymoon trip to either Mexico or Hawaii. Miss 6 came along and put all that on hold so they have never taken it. Hope they go to Hawaii. Actually they were planning a trip to Hawaii last year, but something else got in the way, as it does.

Back to paint, BH was telling me AFTER I bought 10 litres of ceiling paint, that it seems we can get a ceiling paint here that goes on pink and dries white. Be so helpful to know where you have and haven't painted on a ceiling especially.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    roo, if you get the chance, watch the movie with Denzel Washington called Man On Fire. It's about a little white girl (Dakota Fanning) living in Mexico, lots of money, good twist at the end. Mickey Rourke is in it too.

We have the pink/white ceiilng paint here too! I totally forgot about it. I wonder if it works? I think you should try it for us, roo!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    bob, glad the paint is drying right! yay!

roo, i've heard of that paint but never used it! my mom is sold on that however!

michi...love your son's website, etc! wonderful! especially love the staff descriptions!!! lol
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    bob, i love that movie!!!!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Well, like I said BH only told me about it AFTER I had bought 10 litres of paint. Men!! My dd here used it and thought it great. I wondered though if there might be a pinkish undertone to the white, although I never noticed, not that I really looked that hard. I like ceilings to be the same right through the house so don't think I will change now, and there won't be a "maybe next time" and there definitely isn't going to be a "next time" - this is my last paint.

Haven't heard of that movie, Bobbi, but will watch out for it. Like Dakota Fanning but not into Mickey Rourke.

I gotta get off here and get some shopping done. Get back tonight.
  • thickskin
    11 years ago
    So this is where all you good people of the world are hiding out !!!!!!!!!!!...
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Patricia! Yep, this is where all the old's hangout and talk about anything, really, support each other thru design problems and life in general. We're all over 50, so if you are too, please join us!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    MP, me too! Mickey Rourke is such a skank, isn't he?
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Patricia qualifies AND she is closer to my age. I NEED all the support I can get.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Welcome Patricia !!!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Hi Patricia, tell us a little about yourself.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    She lives in Grenada - how exotic is that!!!!!!

Dying to hear more but MUST go shopping. Hopefully builder is coming back Monday to finish the bathroom, but that will be only if I get my butt in gear and pick up the extra tiles.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Hi Patricia and welcome.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Hey all,
    Did you notice that Houzz seems to have changed their top commenters algorithm? I believe they are now only counting the comments and listing people who allow followers. Everyone who has disabled the Followers button has been cleared from the board (thank heavens). At least that is how I interpret the change. I think it is a smart solution.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    HEY girls, I had a very busy day and missed out in a lot of fun. Welcome, Patricia.

One suggestion. BM Collingwood is a great neutral when you don't know what else will work. Goes with everything.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Great work feeny - puts all the pros up there where they probably want to be anyway. Notice Lisa is still there .................. OLLDS to Lisa, disable your followers if you want out!!!!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I'm just guessing it is the Followers button disable that triggers the exclusion. It might be something else in the privacy settings.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    bob...got the box!! I'll be drinking coffee and drinking it from the showerhead tomorrow! teehee! xo

welcome pat!
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    @MP. Who will you give the gag gift box to?
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    @patricia. Welcome to OLLD (Old Ladies Love Design).
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    @patricia. I looked at your idea book photos. We have several outdoor design photos in common. In your interior design photo selections, the curved wall with black stair steps that have no hand railings, no stringers, and open risers looks terrifying to me.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    mp, great! We will need a full report, ok?

feeny, I believe you're right. My name is completely gone (yay!).

Pat, where is Grenada?

Judy, where've you been?
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Patricia seems to have disappeared on us, hope she comes back. Grenada is in the Caribbean. Around 90% of homes there were damaged or destroyed by Ivan and they got clobbered again by Emily. And, guess what, they play cricket there!!!!
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Good morning ladies! C'mon bobbi, roo, someone open 1/4 so I can start fresh and catch up. *L*
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Hi ladies. Mpoulsom my husband was allowed to decorate his 70s bedroom. Leopard skin print wallpaper on all four walls! Along with 'matching' turquoise bedspread. I did mention he's colourblind? I saw the picture- strangely attractive (walls not bed).
    Funny about light when painting Roo. We have to my mind a cold northern light. Even in summer it's dullish but I like white to relect light. For years my parents and others like them painted everything magnolia. Oh I hate that. It was a warm white and used to disguise cigarette smoke. It didn't work to my eye and I associate it with the stench of cigarette smoke. I don't preach to others about smoking, their choice, but I avoid all contact where possible. I find any off-whites difficult unless they are obviously beige/biscuit/tan or whatever.
    Was paint guy a wee bit sensitive in one response? I couldn't see why a post 'stung'. So what's his name is an Aussie!
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    Roo - Why would someone's profile have their location as "United States", when they elsewhere said they'd only "walked thru" the U.S. around Niagara Falls? I don't know enough about color to know whether all those details are valid, or they're just "blowing smoke" at the rest of us. Very odd; comments often seem contradictory or questionable.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Because, ladies, they crave attention, be it negative or positive!

creeser, I'll open 1/4 if you haven't already.
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    I never "got it" as far as craving attention, as being "1 sandwich short of a picnic!"
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Astraea - sandwich short of a picnic is not all there, a missing link. I think it is just stirring but not in a nice way. There have been a few other posts that have been a lot worse - I think you yourself commented on one that it was an Engineer.
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    Yes, an engineer. Engineers usually get a bad rap for being too analytical (numbers, science), so the level of decorating/color detail is "amazing".
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Welcome patricia! So glad to have another face in our group! What a great thing to do working with abused and neglected children. My best friend was a CASA volunteer for years. It broke her heart the cases she worked, but also such a great purpose to help these children.
    Just so you know, one of us starts a new discussion thread each day under Discussions/Other. It will have the day's date and OLLD. So the one for today is OLLD 1/4.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    I have written a couple of paragraphs and when I hit submit, only the first line appears.

?????? Tried to cut and paste on this thread but it won't take.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    bobbi, I am not doing my share here keeping up with the threads..:
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Nope, tried again.
    bobbi, I am not doing my share here keeping up with the threads..:
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    judy, weird! Sometimes, actually often, Houzz hiccups! I've had issue myself. Still in the infant stage, I guess. Don't quit! Keep trying, your comments are good ones!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Judyg--They made a bunch of changes to Houzz yesterday, so I'm wondering whether they are still working out the bugs on some of them and you've gotten caught in a glitch. For example, when people click "Like" on a comment I've made it now appears as a notification in my profile page Feed section, which never happened before (it only went to e-mail). Plus there is the new formula for the Top Commenters board. I'd contact support@houzz.com just to let them know about the problem you are experiencing.
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    I'm so glad you guys keep up with what Houzz is doing to the website, because I don't pay that much attention, and rarely go to my own profile screen.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I've noticed for some time now that I only get two or three emails when people "like" me but if I go to a commentary, like I did yesterday, I found I had 18 likes. There has definitely been a hiccup in that area for some time now, not that it really bothers me, it is nice to be surprised when I stumble on it by accident.
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    Hi ladies, I'm very very late to this discussion, but figure you'll all get the e-mail notification that I added to it....re: Discussion boards and top commenters, my guess is that they will only rank people who leave their Discussion threads on PUBLIC, as the first 20 names I checked, including some of the OLLD gang, had their Discussions visible. (i.e. # of Discussions they have participated in) If you keep it as unseen within your Profile page, regardless of whether you are a homeowner or a professional, then you will drop from the list. That's my thought on this one....
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Thanks Great Place! I think most of us are just glad to be off of it, however it came about. *L*
  • busylady1
    11 years ago
    Hi, Just found these posts. Think I might be an OLLD!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Welcome, busylady! But go to the post with today's discussion date, 1/13, and introduce yourself:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/olld-1-13-dsvw-vd~302284
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Welcome busylady! Each day, we start a new discussion under the Other section. Look for us under OLLD and the day's date.